Thread: Oswalt throws 7 2/3 innings of a Perfect Game against the Mets

Astros and a Beer AstrosAnonymous's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Astros Oswalt throws 7 2/3 innings of a Perfect Game against the Mets

HOUSTON -- Right-hander Roy Oswalt showed why he's the 73 million dollar man on Sunday afternoon, when he held the Mets scoreless on three hits and led the Astros to a 2-1 victory at Minute Maid Park. Oswalt struck out a season-high nine batters and fired a perfect game through six innings. He surrendered his first hit leading off the seventh -- Jose Reyes' infield single -- and completed 7 2/3 innings to pick up his 11th victory.
    Actually, Oswalt nearly missed out on this win because his club mustered just one hit -- Aubrey Huff's second-inning single -- off Mets right-hander Orlando Hernandez in his 5 1/3 innings. Fortunately, the Astros broke a scoreless tie against Hernandez in the sixth.
    In that inning, Lance Berkman and Huff drew one-out walks while Luke Scott took a pitch from Hernandez on the right elbow to load the bases. Then, Adam Everett laid down a perfect squeeze bunt against reliever Roberto Hernandez to plate Berkman and move Huff and Scott into scoring position.
    That was the only run the Astros scored in the sixth, but they didn't need many the way Oswalt motored through the Mets. He did allow that infield single in the seventh to Reyes, who moved to third on the inning's second out. Oswalt escaped the inning, though, on Shawn Green's lineout after intentionally walking Carlos Delgado.
    Oswalt got a little breathing room in the Astros' half of the seventh. Willy Taveras walked, stole second and moved to third on Craig Biggio's sacrifice bunt. He eventually scored on pinch-hitter Jason Lane's sacrifice fly to deep center.
    Brad Lidge surrendered a solo home run to Carlos Delgado with two outs in the ninth, but regrouped to collect his 29th save.

MLB ERA
    Filthy! I saw that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wish I would have seen it. He has been one of my favorite pitchers the last few years. He is right up there with D-train on my list. Mice gem Oswalt.