Thread: Astros talk about Bag Pipes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Astros talk about Bag Pipes

Astros first baseman Jeff Bagwell, who is on the disabled list with an arthritic right shoulder, was not in attendance Thursday afternoon after visiting his teammates in the first two games of the series.
    "He's going back home tonight," said Brad Ausmus, Bagwell's best friend on the club.
    Bagwell visited his teammates for the first time in six weeks on Tuesday, and the Astros went 2-0 with him in the clubhouse.
    "Baggy's already given his word that he would travel to Arizona with us," manager Phil Garner joked when asked if he would ask Bagwell to stay with the team as long as the winning streak continued. "You ask him because he told me that (Wednesday). Now you put his (rear end) on the line because he told us he would travel with us to Arizona."
    Bagwell was not on the team charter late Thursday afternoon to Phoenix. His presence definitely was felt Tuesday and Wednesday.
    "Bagwell is very well respected by these players and everybody else," Garner said. "Everybody. Count me in that group, too. I think Bagwell has a presence, a very, very good presence.
    "I know he's given thought to a lot of things and possibilities. I think no matter what he chooses to do and when he chooses to do it, it will be helpful. I think his impact can be greater in some areas than others. I think his impact staying on the field or involved with the players somewhere would be greater than staying in the booth or as an adviser.
    "Not to minimize any effect he might have (in the front office but) I think he's still revered by the players."
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/4093987.html

This guy has always gotten praise as a great clubhouse leader. I was surprised to see that Ausmus is beig called his best friend as I would figure it would be Biggio. Those two have been together for a long time.

Anyhow, having him in the clubhouse obviously has positive effects. If I were Garner, I would have him there as often as possible.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So does anyone think this guy will be playing next year?

MLB ERA
    I have always really liked the guy and would love to say yes to him continuing to play, but he is 38 years old, had only 100 AB's last year and he hasn't even played this year has he? So far the facts are not looking too good.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Yea, I think he's probably done...what is his contract status? Maybe an AL team would be interested in him as a DH.

MLB ERA
    Usually something associated with arthritis lingers on. I think the road stops here for Bagwell.