Thread: Oswalt Scratched With Back Spasms

Astros Oswalt Scratched With Back Spasms

HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston Astros ace Roy Oswalt was scratched from Sunday's scheduled start against the Cincinnati Reds with back spasms just before the scheduled 1:05 p.m. CDT game.

The announcement was made two minutes before the game was scheduled to start and the game's start was pushed back to 1:15 p.m. Fernando Nieve started in his place.

Oswalt left his last start May 29 with a tight hamstring, but had recovered from that injury and was in the lineup Sunday.

Oswalt said his back began bothering him two days ago and that it worsened when he was warming up before the game. He said he threw about 20 pitches when he realized he wouldn't be able to play.

"It felt like somebody hit me in the back," he said. "I've never had back problems so I don't know what to expect with this."

Astros manager Phil Garner said he doesn't expect Oswalt to go on the disabled list, but that team doctors will be monitoring his condition.

"I've just got to get it well and we'll go from there," Oswalt said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

It would be nice to have both Clemens and Oswalt in the same rotation right now, but I don't think that is going to happen. Oswalt will now be dealing with both hamstring and back issues, both have the potential to become serious if he does too much, and both have the potential to linger. With Pettite struggling, as well as the bullpen, the Astros really needed the duo of Clemens and Oswalt to come out in June firing, but it doesn't look that way now.

Can Oswalt close?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    maybe Clemens can get his buddy Pettitte straightened out

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This has got to hurt. No pun intended, but the Astros are in a world of hurt if Oswalt is going to miss any significant number of starts. Clemens surely is a boost, but with Oswalt out, its more of the same more or less. And thats betting on Clemens still being able to pitch.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oswalt is now on the 15 day DL due to a strained back.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Houston must be counting the minutes before Roger returns.