Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Clemens thread

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Official Clemens thread

Clemens is still unsigned entering this season, but he is not yet retired, either. And according to a source familiar with Clemens’ thinking, the proptypical Big Right-hander might very well position himself to be the midseason acquisition that could put a contending team over the top.
    For now, the Red Sox, New York Yankees, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros all have interest in Clemens’ services, which are worth in the neighborhood of $3 million per month. (He made $18 million last season.) And aside from wanting market value, Clemens also wants to pitch for a team that has a legitimate chance at winning the World Series.
    http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...format=&page=6

So what is your guess? Will he return, or will he stay home? Or will he go somewhere else? What is the common thinking about this?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per rotowrold:

Appearing on a radio show Tuesday, Curt Schilling said he thinks it is a two-team race between Boston and Houston for Roger Clemens.
    Schilling also said he'd wear a tutu to get Clemens on the Red Sox, which hopefully won't sway his decision either way. Apr. 4 - 11:11 am et
    Oh no, the Red Sox may get him! That may mean they will have another SP on the block. Go get him Red Sox! He needs to retire with the Red Sox anyway.

AAA ERA
    Showed Clemens at the Texas-Boston game Monday afternoon on ESPN.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He was there? I wonder if he is really enjoying his time away from the game. I just hope he doesn't enjoy it too much to where he doesn't want to come back. Come back to us Roger!

AA ERA
    Yeah, but the Boston vs. Texas game could have meant he was there on more than one account. It's been said that Hicks has been trying to court Clemens as well. Although, I hope he comes back and in a Red Sox uniform.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    When Clemens flew in to town Monday on owner Tom Hicks' private jet — the pilots were wearing Rangers jerseys — and then tooled into the Rangers' home via limousine for opening day, he was ferried down the Nolan Ryan Expressway to what the Rangers hope will be his new home come June.

If giving Clemens the Ryan treatment is the quid pro quo for landing the services of a seven-time Cy Young winner and the 2005 National League ERA leader (1.87), then take incongruously named Pennant Drive — think Terrell Owens dubbing his driveway/situp pad Humility Row — and slap The Rocket's name on it.

After all, the Rangers are hoping Clemens will feed into Pennant.

That is, if he doesn't retire. Or go to the Astros. Or the Yankees. Or the Red Sox.

Clemens said Monday he's leaning toward retiring.

"Mentally, I don't know that I want to try this again," Clemens said.

His agent, Randy Hendricks, said Clemens wants to make certain one way or the other.

"If he can be around the game for several months and say 'I'm through,' then I know he's done," Hendricks said.
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...s.400d6df.html

AA ERA
    Well, if he does decide to return and signs with the Rangers that will make one thing apparent, it won't be because he wants to contend for a World Series, but because he wants another hefty yearly check.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    A little sentiment sent in for Clemens

IF Roger Clemens has pitched his last game for the Astros, we owe him a round of thanks. No hard feelings, Rocket.

Even if he decides to make a final ride with the Red Sox, Yankees or Rangers, so be it. Nothing he does can take away from the magic that happened here the last two summers.

Clemens fulfilled his end of the deal, and how many athletes can we say that about? He came here promising to help write a different ending, then did exactly that.

He was part of the two best seasons this baseball team has had. The Astros captivated their city in a way few sports teams do.

He brought a level of confidence and expectation that hadn't been present before, setting a tone with his work ethic and competitive fire.

Remember the playoff game he won at Atlanta in 2004? He had nothing that night. He won anyway.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/3772033.html

We will all miss this guy so much. I think once he is done for sure, he will be spoken in the same light as Nolan Ryan for sure. Bonafide greatness.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per MLB trade rumors:

Latest On Clemens
    Back on February 15th, I posted about a source out of Houston close to former Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker. That same source has another update on Roger Clemens for us this morning.

Apparently, Hunsicker still feels that Clemens will sign with Houston on or shortly after May 1st. The Yankees and Red Sox were never seriously in the running for Roger, and Texas was a long shot at best. Clemens's approach to his return was designed to guarantee him the most money possible.

On the off chance that Clemens retires, the Astros are expected to trade for a starting pitcher.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well hopefully this source knows what he is talking about. It is about time for Clemens to make up his mind. I just wonder what is holding him back from signing today if nobody else is really in contention for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Backe has a strained elbow and could get worse. Astros need to get Clemens right away meaning May 1st.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep now is the perfect time for him to get in here. make up your mind Clemens!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The Astros can't negotiate with Clemens until May 1, but they need him more than ever.
    Garner said Astacio will take Nieve's spot in the bullpen. Astacio threw six scoreless innings in his only outing of the season for Round Rock, allowing four hits while walking one and striking out four April 9 at New Orleans.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3795529.html

AA ERA
    We will all miss this guy so much. I think once he is done for sure, he will be spoken in the same light as Nolan Ryan for sure. Bonafide greatness.
    I honestly believe he is the greatest of all time considering all that he has done in a hitters era where the the strike zone was shrunk, steroids was running rampant, and the size of the pitching mound was changed. I am one that believes modern athletes are a lot better than ones in the past because of how baseball and its players have evolved. I know this is a topic that my cause a heat of debate, but that's just my thoughts.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I completely agree with you BoSox. I can only imagine how hard it was back then to pitch, but it has got to be much harder now. I have to say that Clemens is the best pitcher I have ever see pitch bar none.

Good post man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast