Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Clemens thread

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    A little sentiment sent in for Clemens

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/3772033.html

We will all miss this guy so much. I think once he is done for sure, he will be spoken in the same light as Nolan Ryan for sure. Bonafide greatness.
    Nolan Ryan??? It's an insult to clemens to compare the overrated Ryan to him. Clemens is light years ahead of Ryan.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah I have just come to terms with that. I have always loved what Ryan had done and I wouldn't say he was overrated at all. But Clemens is simply better. This guy has done it big on every stage and I have never seen him have an overall bad season. Clemens is the best pitcher that I have ever seen.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Clemens to be a Yank?

April 25, 2006 -- YANKEE NOTES There was nothing to the buzz circulating through baseball yesterday that Roger Clemens has decided to pitch for the Yankees and was close to signing with them.

"Roger's son broke a finger [playing minor league baseball] and that's what he is dealing with," agent Alan Hendricks said. "There is nothing else new."

Koby Clemens, a third baseman for Single-A Lexington of the Astros' organization, is expected to miss six to eight weeks.

Clemens, who has drawn interest from the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Astros, can begin negotiations with Houston on May 1.

But Randy Hendricks, who along with brother Alan represents Clemens, told MLB.com via e-mail yesterday that Clemens "does not intend to play in May, so the May 1 date does not mean much."

The Astros make the most sense for the future Hall of Famer. The question is whether they are willing to pay the expected $3 to $4 million a month Clemens likely will command for the rest of the season.

The Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers won't blink at those numbers, and they could escalate if it becomes a bidding war between the Red Sox and Yankees.
    This is just the latest on Clemens. I am sure they will have him going to the DRays, Yanks 10 more times, Red Sox a few more times and then back to Houston. Sounds like he will never sign anywhere.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If the Stros keep it up, he will be an Astro but not til June is what he says. But does anyone still want this guy after being so old and having so much time from the game?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I hear you LTR. Waiting until June is not the best idea whatsoever. He will have this team at a bind for only having his talent for half of a season. And his talent will likely be limited due to so much time off. This will be interesting.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Roger, either sign or officially retire! Quit this Brett Farve crap!
    rf28

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Roger, either sign or officially retire! Quit this Brett Farve crap!
    I concur...I'm so sick of this guy doing this every year for the last 5 years or whatever...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., May 3 — Roger Clemens will decide on his future soon, his agent said Wednesday, and there are no indications Clemens is leaning toward pitching for the Yankees.

"Roger is mulling over what he wants to do but does not intend to play in May," Randy Hendricks, one of Clemens's agents, said in an e-mail message. "He will make his decision before June 15."

Clemens has opened negotiations with his hometown Houston Astros, who did not offer him salary arbitration and had been unable to sign him until Monday. Various reports indicated the Astros offered $12 million, or the equivalent of $3 million a month.

That price would not scare off the Yankees, who could surely match or exceed it if they had to. But the Yankees understand there is only so much they can do for Clemens, who lives in Houston, has a son in the Astros' farm system and is close friends with the Astros left-hander Andy Pettitte.

The Astros have also remained competitive since winning the pennant last October, another enticement for Clemens to return.

So far, the Yankees have kept their distance from Clemens, believing Hendricks or his brother, Alan, will contact them if Clemens wants to return to New York. Even Manager Joe Torre, who called several free agents last winter, said he had not called Clemens since the World Series.

"I haven't been asked to, and I wouldn't do it on my own, because I can't make any promises," Torre said Wednesday. "The name always comes up because it's mentioned in the media, but it's nothing that I'm counting on, let's put it that way."

The Texas Rangers and the Boston Red Sox are also teams that interest Clemens. As for the renewed presence of the Astros, Randy Hendricks played it down.

"Nothing is new," he said. "The Astros could finally dial themselves in like the other three teams have."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/sp...=1&oref=slogin

No Clemens in May? This is ridiculous.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What, is he anti-May?
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He had already said he wouldn't pitch til June.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    When Clemens visited with both the Red Sox and Rangers on Opening Day at Ameriquest Park in Arlington, Texas, his agent, Randy Hendricks, indicated Clemens had little interest in playing for a team struggling to remain in playoff contention. The implied message was that the Red Sox, Yankees, Astros and Rangers all needed to play well in the first two months of the season to remain in the Clemens sweepstakes.

Entering last night, the Sox, Yankees and Rangers all had at least a share of first place in their respective divisions. The Astros were 19-12 - the same record as the Red Sox - and trailed the St. Louis Cardinals by 1 1/2 games in the National League Central.

Clemens, who pitched the past two seasons for the Astros, became a free agent at the end of last year after earning a base salary of $18 million in 2005. The sides were unable to reach an agreement on a new contract, however, and Houston failed to offer Clemens arbitration before the Dec. 7 deadline.

As a result, the Astros lost negotiating rights with Clemens until May 1, shortly after which they met with Houston-based agents Alan and Randy Hendricks. The Astros made a reported offer that would pay Clemens beteween $3 million and $3.5 million per month, numbers that translate into an annual salary of $18-21 million.

The actual cost for any team signing Clemens likely will be between $12-14 million, since he won’t begin pitching until June. That brought the Astros back into the foreground, given Clemens has enjoyed unprecedented privileges while playing for them, including an arrangement that allows him to bypass road series if he is not scheduled to pitch.
    http://redsox.bostonherald.com/other...ticleid=138513

MLB ERA
    I absolutely cannot wait until this is over one way or the other...I hope he retires, but given that he's said he's going to retire for the last 5 years or so, I bet he comes back...and I hope he gets HAMMERED!!!!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I don't hope he gets hammered. But I am afraid it may be the case if he does in fact return. He has just been out of the game for a while and I am not even sure how much he has been throwing. He is still one of the greatest pitchers of all time so I would hate to see him end his career on a downward slope.

MLB ERA
    I want to see him crash and burn...I dislike Roger Clemens very much so and I'm not even a Red Sox fan.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    what is it that people hate about Clemens so much?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast