Thread: Indians lock up Peralta

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Indians lock up Peralta

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (AP) -- Jhonny Peralta and the Cleveland Indians both got the security they sought Friday when the shortstop agreed to a $13 million, five-year contract with a club option for 2011.

Peralta emerged as one of the top offensive shortstops in baseball last year, his first full season in the major leagues. He batted .292 with 24 home runs and 78 RBIs in 141 games -- setting a franchise record for homers by a shortstop with one more than Woodie Held hit in 1961.

"I think I can do even better this season," Peralta said. "I feel much more comfortable."

An ecstatic Peralta said he now can support his parents comfortably in retirement.

"When I was a boy, I dreamed of being a baseball player. I never thought of being a millionaire," he said. "But now, I can take care of my family without having to worry about anything except playing baseball."

Peralta's agent, Bill Rego, said the deal is "one of the top two" for a shortstop not yet eligible for arbitration. Nomar Garciaparra got $23.25 million over five years with the Boston Red Sox in 1998.

"This may be the best day of spring training thus far," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said.

Peralta gets a $1.25 million signing bonus, $500,000 this season, $750,000 next year, $2.25 million in 2008, $3.4 million in 2009 and $4.6 million in 2010. Cleveland has a $7 million option for 2011 with a $250,000 buyout.

Team president Paul Dolan said he was confident that increased attendance and proposed revenue from a new TV deal would enable the Indians to make similar offers to other players.

"There is no artificial cutoff on signing long-term deals," Dolan said.

Assistant general manager Chris Antonetti, who handled most of the negotiations, said the deal is patterned after one given to Cleveland catcher Victor Martinez. Last April, the Indians signed the switch-hitter through 2009 with a club option for 2010.

Future long-term deals could be structured differently, according to Antonetti.

"Each player is different and we may or may not see one like this again," Antonetti said.

Shapiro said the club is talking with two key players about possible extensions, believed to be left-hander Cliff Lee and center fielder Grady Sizemore.

"If we can't get something done by the end of spring training, we'll stop," Shapiro said. "We will not negotiate during the season."

Peralta was put in the unenviable position of replacing fan favorite Omar Vizquel, who left as a free agent after the 2004 season. Peralta got off to a slow start last year, hitting .222 in April and making nine errors in his first 46 games, before blossoming during the summer.

"I knew some fans were going crazy because of those errors and comparing me to Omar," Peralta said. "I was feeling it a little."

From May 6 until the end of the season, however, Peralta hit .302 with 23 homers and 74 RBIs in 121 games to help propel the Indians into contention in the AL Central.

He spent much of the first half of 2005 batting ninth. When designated hitter Travis Hafner was injured, manager Eric Wedge moved Peralta into the No. 3 spot with successful results. Peralta went 2-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs on July 23, his first game hitting third, and stayed there the rest of the season.

"He didn't blink and how he handled that move mentally drove our confidence in making this offer," Shapiro said.
    I like the fact that we did this.Not only do we lock him up for I think it's three years after he woulda hit free agency,we keep him out of arbitration which can distract a player from baseball.It also shows that we're commited to these core players which can help us when they do hit free agency.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Now lock up Sizemore and Hafner and you got something. This was a great and smart move.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Now lock up Sizemore and Hafner and you got something. This was a great and smart move.
    I think Sizemore is next on the list and I think Pronk is with us until 2010 or 2009.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central