Thread: Indians and Peralta agree to one-year deal

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Indians and Peralta agree to one-year deal

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Shortstop Jhonny Peralta agreed to a one-year contract Thursday with the Cleveland Indians.

Peralta hit .292 with 24 home runs and 78 RBIs in 141 games last year in his first full season in the majors. His surprising season was one of the reasons the Indians became an unexpected playoff contender.

His .521 slugging percentage ranked second among American League shortstops and his 24 home runs set a single-season franchise record for a shortstop.

Peralta, 23, earned $316,700 last season. He was not eligible for salary arbitration, meaning he is likely to make only slightly more than the $327,000 minimum.
    I really hope we get him signed to a long term deal,otherwise we could be without one of the best (IMO) SS's in the AL.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well, before we go saying he's one of the best SS, let's see him produce again

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Well, before we go saying he's one of the best SS, let's see him produce again
    I think he'll produce this year and if the Indians don't lock him up long-term,he'll end up with another team in the AL...possibly in the Central.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    isn't he still in his arbitration years? He's only played 3 seasons. I'm pretty sure he's under their control for a little while longer.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    isn't he still in his arbitration years? He's only played 3 seasons. I'm pretty sure he's under their control for a little while longer.
    I'm not sure,he might be.But still,if he produces this year like he did last year,we gotta lock him up long-term...otherwise when he finally does get into FA,he'll just leave without giving the Indians a second thought.

MLB ERA
    This was a move to avoid arbitration with Peralta, but the Indians have his rights for at least 2 more years, 3 if his 2004 callup wasn't long enough to count on his service time clock.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    This was a move to avoid arbitration with Peralta, but the Indians have his rights for at least 2 more years, 3 if his 2004 callup wasn't long enough to count on his service time clock.
    Cool,hopefully he keeps on developing and we lock him up long-term.

I'm a big Peralta fan. He might not have the best range or speed, but he has power and hits for good average. Definitely one of the better SS's in the MLB.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic