Thread: Loretta for Mirabelli

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Loretta for Mirabelli

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251347

BOSTON -- The Red Sox have agreed on a deal that would send backup catcher Doug Mirabelli to the San Diego Padres for second baseman Mark Loretta, the Boston Herald reported on its Web site Wednesday.

According to the report, an official announcement is being delayed at the request of the Padres, who are awaiting a decision from closer Trevor Hoffman.

The 34-year-old Loretta is a .301 career hitter and is signed through 2006 at a salary of $3 million. With Boston having minor leaguer Dustin Pedroia on the horizon, Loretta is being viewed as a short-term solution.

After batting .335 with 47 doubles, 16 homers and 76 RBI in 2004, Loretta was bothered by a thumb injury this past season and hit just .280 with three homers and 38 RBI in 105 contests.

Mirabelli has been one of the better backup catchers during his four years in Boston. Used primarily as knuckleballer Tim Wakefield's personal catcher, he hit .281 with nine homers and 32 RBI during Boston's World Series championship season in 2004 but slumped to .228 with six homers and 18 RBI this past season.

The 35-year-old will give the Padres an experienced receiver with Ramon Hernandez leaving via free agency.

Another Red Sox-Padres trade has been on the rumor mill since left-hander David Wells requested a trade back to Southern California to be closer to his family. The Red Sox have talked to the Padres this offseason about a move, but no deal seems imminent.
    The Pads have had a busy ****ing day. They traded Burroughs for Brazelton, resigned Hoffman and traded Loretta for a backup catcher. I like all but the last one. Mirabelli has some pop but you are going to trade an AllStar second baseman for a backup catcher? Seems like you got hosed but if Barfield is ready, go for it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    horrible deal for the Pads...Sox just robbed them. And from the articles about the possible trade before, they said the Fathers will use Doug as their starting catcher

I love Belli, one of the 25, very timely hitter who handled Wake real well...but if you have a chance to trade your backup catcher for Mark Loretta, even with his power decrease due to a thumb ligament injury, you do it.

The Sox phantom GM is 2 for 2
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie ERA
    [QUOTE]The Sox phantom GM is 2 for 2[QUOTE]

cough larry lucchino cough cough

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    At least... Mirabelli is decent. What desperation, though.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    The trade (of Loretta) was more about making room for Josh Barfield than desperation for a catcher.

That said, they should've been able to get more for Loretta than they did and i'm dissapointed in this deal
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AAA ERA
    I love the deal for the Sox, cant understand it for the Pads... I mean, theres gotta be a defensive free agent catcher out there the Sox can get to replace Miribelli. They got a decent 2B finally for him.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Loretta=gamer, a solid get it done, basic player.
    Mirabelli=__________________________, someone fill in the blank because I know nothing if him...
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Rookie ERA
    He's a solid #2 catcher who has some power and can handle knuckleballers.