Thread: Cards sign Looper, but why?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Cards sign Looper, but why?

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=stl

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals announced today they have signed right-handed pitcher Braden Looper to a three-year contract. Looper, a first-round draft pick for the Cardinals in 1996 (third overall), made his Major League debut with the Cardinals in 1998. He was part of the Cardinals trade with the Florida Marlins that brought shortstop Edgar Renteria to St. Louis in December 1998.

Looper, 31, pitched for the New York Mets last season and went 4-7 with a 3.94 ERA in 60 games with 28 saves. The 6-3, 220-pound native of Oklahoma recorded a career-high 29 saves with the Mets in 2004 and won a World Championship with the Marlins in 2003.

"We are glad to have Braden back in our system, and he's glad to be back," stated Senior Vice President/General Manager Walt Jocketty. "He will be a quality set-up pitcher in our bullpen and be able to close for us on days when Jason (Isringhausen) is not available."

Looper has appeared in 70+ games six out of his seven years in the Majors and holds a career record of 25-29, 3.47 ERA with 103 saves. He is 4-6 with 30 saves and a 3.10 ERA in his career vs. NL Central teams and has handled his former and future team rather well, posting a 1-0 mark with three saves and a 0.00 ERA in 16 career games (17.0 IP) versus the Cardinals.

The reliever underwent arthroscopic surgery October 3 of this year to clean out the AC joint in his right shoulder and has cleared a physical with the Cardinals medical staff. His complete pitching record follows.
    3 year deal for I dunno how much, but horrible deal

Cardinals signed RHP Braden Looper, who had been with the Mets, to a three-year, $13.5 million contract.
    He'll earn $3.5 million in 2006, $4.5 million in 2007 and $5.5 million in 2008. Included are up to $1 million in bonuses, some of them based on games finished in case he becomes the closer.

Beat me by a milisecond.

Then again..Looper?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I'll tell you why. The Cards' pen needed help and Looper was a good setup man with closer experience to help out if Izzy goes down. Cards have lost Tavarez and King.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    looper really struggled against lefties... really really bad... but he wasnt all that bad against righties. this isnt a horrid signing... its a bit long winded, but he wont be horrible. infact i bet he bounces back since la russa wont use him too horribly, i dont believe.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    NY and St. Louis are total opposites when it comes to the fan base. Looper will not be booed as soon as he starts warming up. That's a plus for every pitcher.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    NY and St. Louis are total opposites when it comes to the fan base. Looper will not be booed as soon as he starts warming up. That's a plus for every pitcher.
    Looper was good in Florida, and I believe he has been in St. Louis before. Relievers are getting huge contracts. They're better off signing Looper than paying Tavarez what he'll end up getting.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    its certainly not a horrible signing. Is it that good? not really, but the cardinals had to sign someone for their pen.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1