Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Soriano comes home to NY

Re: Soriano comes home to NY

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I don't think teams should be as loyal to the players as many fans argue the should when that loyalty almost never comes from the other side (loyalty is a two way street).

That being said, there are rare occasions where I think it's deserved and Jeter fits that case.
    I don't argue they should have walked away from Jeter, just that no one was gonna pay him that much, so they likely could have driven him down a bit. I mean, it's hardly a huge problem, I don't mind it much, just expounding on that point of the article.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
    I live near SF/Oakland. My parents were from NY. I generally don't pick teams on geography. Got the Raiders from Dad who grew up watching the AFL and loved the team, the Yanks from Mom who grew up watching them, and the Penguins on my own from watching hockey as a kid and they were always on.
    im not knocking you, or questioning your fandom at all. youre obviously very knowledgeable. i think you look at it completely from the business aspect... and i cant knock that, without looking like a total toolbox. and in most cases, guys should be looked at from a business aspect... but i just cant look at derek jeter like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    im not knocking you, or questioning your fandom at all. youre obviously very knowledgeable. i think you look at it completely from the business aspect... and i cant knock that, without looking like a total toolbox. and in most cases, guys should be looked at from a business aspect... but i just cant look at derek jeter like that.
    Oh I know, I agree with Jeter, I was just saying I root for laundry, am aware of that, and I know others get attached to players. I mean, I used to myself, but my faves always went to different teams, so I got used to it. Jeter is special, is the Yankees in many ways, and that's why they paid what they did compared to what his perceived on field worth is. I mean, it's still better than giving Rodriguez that stupid contract (I think I liked 8/200 at the time for him as a ceiling, preferred 6 years) and Cano I want no more than 6, and would likely get agitated when he gets more.) while Jeter, eh, he got, what, 1, maybe 2 extra years, and while a 17MM cap hit isn't small, it's hardly crippling, especially because I think his cap hit next year is 5MM, assuming he takes his option. If he doesn't take his option, how much is he really gonna make, older, off of injuries?

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

if cano played the game like dj, id pay him til he was 40 too. if he had dereks work ethic, i cant imagine the ball player hed be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234