Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers, Kemp talking HUGE extension

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Dodgers, Kemp talking HUGE extension

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Dodgers and Matt Kemp are engaging in serious discussions on an eight-year extension worth $160 million.
    Kemp is currently scheduled to become a free agent after the 2012 season, and the Dodgers want to lock him up long-term before he even gets a whiff of what might be available to him on the open market. $20 million per year over the course of eight years should do the trick. Kemp batted .324 with a .986 OPS, 39 homers, 40 steals and 126 RBI in 161 games this past season.
    WOW! For a team with financial uncertainty, this would be a huge chunk of change to give to one player. Too much in my view. Kemp turned 27 in September so he will be 35 when his contract is up. Yes, I'm a math scholar. I don't mind the years as now is the time to lock a player like Kemp up but I just don't think he has reached $20 million/year status yet, even after a MVP season.

MLB ERA

Re: Dodgers, Kemp talking HUGE extension

good deal for the Dodgers... amid the uncertainty you need a franchise player... he's it, and he woulda gotten more than prime-Beltran money if he had hit FA
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kemp just got the richest contract in NL history! Don't think he has reached that status and the Dodgers certainly didin't get any type of discount on this deal. Dave Stewart just got paid and probably picked up a few clients in the process!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Looks better in that outfield than say... Boston's or NY's.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Kemp just got the richest contract in NL history! Don't think he has reached that status and the Dodgers certainly didin't get any type of discount on this deal. Dave Stewart just got paid and probably picked up a few clients in the process!!
    2011 League Ranks:
    3rd in NL in BA (.324)
    1st in NL in HR (39)
    1st in NL in RBI (126)
    1st in NL in R (115)
    8th in NL in BB (74)
    2nd in NL in SB (40)
    2nd in NL in SLG (.586)
    2nd in NL in OPS (.986)

What else does he need to do to get to that "status"?
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

More than one season of being an elite player for starters.

MLB ERA

he had a good year in 2009... and what do you want them to do? let him have another massive season and then get Pujols money? The risk vs reward here just doesn't make sense... if he has a bad season he's still getting 12-16 mil in FA as opposed to 20 vs 26-30 mil if he has another season like he did, when NYY and BOS will have money to spend
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    he had a good year in 2009... and what do you want them to do? let him have another massive season and then get Pujols money? The risk vs reward here just doesn't make sense... if he has a bad season he's still getting 12-16 mil in FA as opposed to 20 vs 26-30 mil if he has another season like he did, when NYY and BOS will have money to spend
    If they were smart, they would have traded him for someone's farm since theirs sucks and don't know what the future of the franchise holds. In no universe was he ever going to get $26-30 million. One MVP-type year should not get you the NL's richest contract ever.

MLB ERA

notice i said if he repeated it... and had 2 MVP Type years in a row heading into FA...
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I noticed

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If they were smart, they would have traded him for someone's farm since theirs sucks and don't know what the future of the franchise holds.
    What package of prospects could they possibly get that would be equal value for an elite performer with the right skillset and the right age to hold up long term, especially considering the possible trade partners would be limited to New York and Boston since they are the only other teams that could afford a $160 million contract?

MLB ERA

U could add Miami to the list but they have no system...

I think this is the right play... U need a franchise player... He's it... What are the dodgers and he walks?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    What package of prospects could they possibly get that would be equal value for an elite performer with the right skillset and the right age to hold up long term, especially considering the possible trade partners would be limited to New York and Boston since they are the only other teams that could afford a $160 million contract?
    Boston and NY could both put together packages that would better serve the team than spending $20 million per season on one player. I take it you like this deal? This could be a good deal or this could have Vernon Wells written all over it. I just think the Dodgers could have gotten a deal done for lesser money.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Boston and NY could both put together packages that would better serve the team than spending $20 million per season on one player.
    The PR disaster of losing Kemp following a season in which the Dodgers lost $27 million because of a dramatic decline in attendance would more than negate the $20 million per season that they would save. Most fans aren't willing to sit through a rebuilding plan and wait for the first one of the prospects to be any good.

This could be a good deal or this could have Vernon Wells written all over it.
    I can't believe that any team that has what it takes to break into the upper echelon class of New York and Boston is actually going to run their business to where they're never going to pay market price to keep their franchise player because it was Vernon Wells who set the market.

I just think the Dodgers could have gotten a deal done for lesser money.
    That would be true a year ago when he was coming off a disappointing season (disappointing by his talent's standard although he was also unlucky with his BABIP being below the norm), but that's no longer the case when he's coming off an MVP-type year and he and Dave Stewart have said they won't talk extension once the next baseball season -- his walk year -- begins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast