Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reports of a potential trade between Miami and Toronto.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Reports of a potential trade between Miami and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Which expansion?

The first one was good.

The 2nd one could have been fine....if they didn't make it a one game playoff for the two WCs.

Definitely the initial expansion to the wild card spot.

But I enjoyed the extra drama the 2nd expansion and subsequent one game playoff caused. It was only one season though. I feel like it helped spur a lot of colorful transactions. Again, one season sample size so we'll see what happens onwards. Nothing is perfect but I figure there will be tweaks..especially to the funky postseason schedule.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

Another show drops... Reyes and Buehrle claim there was a verbal agreement that they would not be moved.

Broken promises.

Marlins brass attempt to explain salary dump.

Team President David Samson (saboteur in training) tries to justify trade.

MLB ERA

That's their own fault for accepting verbal agreements instead of making sure it's in the contract.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Rookie ERA

True, but now along with the salary dumping history they will also get a rep among players and agents to steer clear if they want a viable long term contract as it obviously won't be honored. We already knew these guys weren't honorable, so might have an impact on younger players and even draft picks............don't even think about staying too long in Miami.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    True, but now along with the salary dumping history they will also get a rep among players and agents to steer clear if they want a viable long term contract as it obviously won't be honored. We already knew these guys weren't honorable, so might have an impact on younger players and even draft picks............don't even think about staying too long in Miami.
    How so?

That's why these contracts exist in the first place.

If they make sure it's in the contract then they have to honor it.

I'm not trying to stick up for Marlins brass here, but it's still their own fault.

Marlins brass are scumbags for verbally offering it in the first place, but still.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player gets his money, then gets traded to a better team in a better situation if things don't work out in Miami. What's not to like from a player's and agent's standpoint?

Rookie ERA

Well, the Marlins have a policy of not extending no-trade clauses in their contracts. That is supposedly why especially the Buehrle's discussed it, were assured he would be in the long term plans, thus not "needing" a no trade clause. If this is going to be the pattern in Miami .."don't worry no need of anything in writing take us on our word" and it turns out their word is shit, could make it even harder for them to get anyone to sign more than one year contracts.

Like the article says these guys turned down other very nice contracts that likely wouldn't have had them shipped off in one season, others will take note and think twice about a multi-year contract with Lying Loria and Shifty Samson.

Btw guys, oral agreements if they can be proved are enforceable in the U.S. even in sports.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If this is going to be the pattern in Miami .."don't worry no need of anything in writing take us on our word" and it turns out their word is shit, could make it even harder for them to get anyone to sign more than one year contracts.
    LOL.

Veteran free agents aren't stupid (unless you're Jody Reed). They'll take the guaranteed multi-year contract any way they'll get it, especially if it's backloaded through their mid-30's when they're past their prime.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And so what if the Marlins trade you after one year? It's still the same result as a one-year deal with them, except instead of having to test free agency again when you're a year older you already have the guaranteed multi-year contract.

MLB ERA

Well, the Marlins have a policy of not extending no-trade clauses in their contracts. That is supposedly why especially the Buehrle's discussed it, were assured he would be in the long term plans, thus not "needing" a no trade clause. If this is going to be the pattern in Miami .."don't worry no need of anything in writing take us on our word" and it turns out their word is shit, could make it even harder for them to get anyone to sign more than one year contracts.

Like the article says these guys turned down other very nice contracts that likely wouldn't have had them shipped off in one season, others will take note and think twice about a multi-year contract with Lying Loria and Shifty Samson.

Btw guys, oral agreements if they can be proved are enforceable in the U.S. even in sports.

If the Marlins have a policy of not exchanging NTCs then it's that much dumber for them to take their word for it.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Buehrle: “I Was Lied To But I’m Putting It Behind Me” | Drunk Jays Fans | Blogs | theScore.com

“I’m upset with how things turned out in Miami,” Buehrle said in a joint statement with his agent, via the Sun Sentinel. “Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I’m putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career.”

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Marlins have a team? Money or not, I'd be happy to escape the Luria Beinfest ckusterfu..

So with Toronto, are we liking this team to at least be on Tampa or Baltimore's level?

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I would think we'll be more competitive than we were last year. That is assuming L-Cool-JJ, and Reyes don't fall to large DL stints. Than again it's not like last years team didn't go through doctor visits like a high school QB goes through cheerleaders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123