Thread: Rumors Vol 3: AJ Burnett update, Ken Griffey Jr, Jose Contreras and More!

Rumors Vol 3: AJ Burnett update, Ken Griffey Jr, Jose Contreras and More!

All trade rumors are courtesy of ESPN Insider July 21, 2005.

AJ Burnett
    Interested: Orioles, Dodgers, White Sox, Angels, Padres, Blue Jays, Tigers, Red Sox

The Marlins' search for a worthwhile package in exchange for starter A.J. Burnett is moving beyond the Orioles, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Once considered a virtual lock to land in Baltimore, Burnett's next move has become uncertain. The Marlins' insistence in attaching Mike Lowell to a deal for their coveted right-hander has kept Burnett in Florida -- for now. Lowell is owed about $21 million through 2007, and the Marlins are finding it difficult to shed all or even a portion of that.
    Team officials were working on a three-way deal involving the Red Sox and Twins. In that scenario, the Marlins would have received pitchers Bronson Arroyo and Joe Mays. Bill Mueller and prospects would go to the Twins, and the Red Sox were set to get Lowell, Burnett and J.C. Romero. But that deal looks like it is dead because the Sox aren't keen on taking Lowell, and the Marlins aren't crazy about Mays.

If or when the Marlins determine they've exhausted all their possibilities of moving Lowell with Burnett, any number of teams will re-enter the hunt. The Red Sox, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers and Blue Jays all are willing to deal for Burnett. Unlike some of the aforementioned clubs, the Red Sox are willing to take Burnett without signing him to an extension. Burnett is eligible for free agency after this season.

Mike Lowell
    Interested: Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Orioles

Having reached an impasse with the Orioles about A.J. Burnett, the Marlins now are making calls to other teams about the pitcher and third baseman Mike Lowell, the Miami Herald reports. The Marlins continue to insist that any deal involving Burnett also must include Lowell, whose large contract and poor offensive numbers this season have combined to subdue interest. Lowell is owed close to $21 million for the balance of his contract -- roughly $3 million for this season and $9 million in each of the next two years.
    The Red Sox and Yankees have been mentioned as possible trade partners. If the Red Sox become involved, it's likely pitcher Bronson Arroyo and prospects would have to be included. Yankees pitchers Carl Pavano and Felix Rodriguez also have been mentioned as possible trade targets for Florida.

Danys Baez
    Interested: Nationals, White Sox, Braves, Marlins, Red Sox

Interest in Danys Baez continues to build, and the Rays should soon start serious discussions over specific names, the St. Petersburg Times reports. In a Web chat Wednesday, ESPN's Peter Gammons knocked the Devil Rays's trade acumen: "They asked for Hanley Ramirez for Danys Baez, which is silly. Boston won't trade good prospects for average middle relievers."
    The Nationals continue to ask the Rays about a deal that might include Baez and infielder Julio Lugo, the Washington Post reports. According to the Tampa Tribune, the Diamondbacks, Braves, Marlins and Red Sox also have expressed an interest.

The All-Star closer has stated his preference is to remain in Tampa. But it depends on what the Devil Rays want to do. They have a $4 million option for 2006.

Ken Griffey Jr
    Interested: Yankees, White Sox

Ken Griffey Jr.'s name is hot on the trade rumor mill, but according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds still haven't asked Griffey where he's willing to go. As a player with five years with one team and 10 years overall in the big leagues, Griffey can reject any deal. "I haven't heard anything," Griffey told the newspaper. "I don't remember the last time I saw [Reds GM] Dan O'Brien."
    Griffey would accept a trade to the right team, the Dayton Daily News reports. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings."

To make any deal possible, the Reds would have to eat a lot of Junior's salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest.

Billy Wagner
    Interested: White Sox, Red Sox

If the Phillies choose to dump Billy Wagner (and his huge salary) before the trade deadline, the White Sox might make a move for the closer, the Daily Herald reports. The Phils still believe they're in contention to win the wild card. Unless they hit the skids by July 31, there would not be enough time for Chicago to get Wagner without having him clear through waivers.
    The Red Sox also have shown an interest in Wagner and have been keeping tabs on him. But according PhillyBurbs.com, the closer expects to remain in Philly. "I've heard my name in so many trades," Wagner said. "The way we've been playing, I don't see myself leaving."

Alfonso Soriano
    Interested: Giants, Mets, Twins, Padres, Indians, Red Sox, Yankees

Alfonso Soriano might be willing to move to center if he were dealt back to the Yankees, but conversations between the Yanks and Rangers haven't been productive, the New York Daily News reports. Texas is looking for pitching and the Yankees aren't able to satisfy the Rangers.
    Soriano, who's making $7.4 million and will earn a raise through arbitration, has come to embrace Texas. "If it were up to me, I would like to be here with this young team and these guys," Soriano told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "But you never know where you're going to play, or if they'll want to keep me."

Eddie Guardado
    Interested: Red Sox, Nationals, Yankees

According to the Seattle Times, Mariners officials are reluctant to deal closer Eddie Guardado. While they could be talked into a trade if the offer is right, the M's hold Guardado in high regard as a team and clubhouse leader as well as a solid performer.
    If the Mariners don't want to part with him, the reliever feels the same way. "I understand how these things work, it's a business," Guardado told the newspaper. "But I don't want to go anywhere else. I want to finish what I started here. They gave me a three-year contract and I want to earn it with them."

Kevin Millar
    Interested: Twins

The Red Sox are talking about expanding a deal with the Twins -- and Kevin Millar would be involved, along with Bill Mueller, the Boston Herald reports. The Sox want starting pitcher Joe Mays and reliever J.C. Romero for Millar and Mueller, but the Twins aren't as willing to part with Mays as they are Kyle Lohse.
    According to the Hartford Courant, Millar doesn't want to be traded. "I can't imagine going anywhere else. I really couldn't," he told the newspaper. "I feel like, seriously, I've been here for 10 years. This is it."

Millar, in the final year of his contract, has been the subject of trade rumors since late May. He insists he has never asked to be traded. "You know as well as I know, if I was unhappy, I'd go and tell you I was unhappy," Millar said. "I haven't said one thing. Let me just make it real easy. When I hit, I'm a hell of a defensive first baseman. If I don't hit, I'm below average, I'm a defensive nuisance."

Bronson Arroyo
    Interested: Marlins

The Red Sox haven't given up on winning the A.J. Burnett sweepstakes and are still attempting to interest the Marlins in a package of players headed by pitcher Bronson Arroyo, the Boston Globe reports. The Sox are trying to pair their efforts to obtain Twins left-handed setup man J.C. Romero with their attempt to acquire Burnett. Under that scenario, the Sox would trade third baseman Bill Mueller and prospects to the Twins, who need a third baseman, for Romero and right-handed starter Joe Mays.
    The Sox would then flip Arroyo and Mays to the Marlins for Burnett. But that proposal has a couple of obstacles. While the Marlins like Arroyo, they supposedly would prefer Twins starter Kyle Lohse to Mays, and the Twins aren't interested in moving Lohse.

Mike Sweeney
    Interested: Rangers

The Rangers continue to show interest in Kansas City's Mike Sweeney, but according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, they don't want to give up Kevin Mench. They also want players who will be in Texas beyond 2005. Sweeney fits that mold, but the Royals have not yet reached a point where they are desperate to dump money.
    "There are two reasons why people trade players away, either to lower payroll, or to pick up prospects, or younger players," owner Tom Hicks told the newspaer. "We would be prepared to take on the financial part of a trade that would improve us this year or next year or the following year. But we're not going to give up assets that could help us now or in the future."

Eric Byrnes
    Interested: Cardinals, Yankees, Astros, Indians, Braves

The Yankees and Astros are among the teams interested in Eric Byrnes, but Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd is not shopping the outfielder, the Denver Post reports. O'Dowd still believes he can fit Byrnes in next year's payroll, and likes his energy. "I would have to be overwhelmed to even consider doing anything," O'Dowd told the newspaper. "Eric fits in well with what we are trying to do."

Alan Embree
    Interested: Mets, Devil Rays, Padres, Diamondbacks, Angels

The Angels, Diamondbacks, Devil Rays, Mets and Padres are believed to be among the teams interested in Alan Embree, the Boston Herald reports. Embree must be moved within the next eight days after being designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Tuesday. He is 1-4 with a 7.65 ERA in 43 appearances this season.

Brett Tomko
    Interested: Angels

According to the Orange County Register, the Angels are looking at Brett Tomko and the Pirates' Kip Wells to take rookie Ervin Santana's spot in the rotation.

Kip Wells
    Interested: Angels, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Tigers, Devil Rays, Blue Jays, Phillies

The Angels are looking to add pitching depth and have emerged as a possible destination for Kip Wells, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. The Phillies, Blue Jays, Devil Rays, Tigers, Diamondbacks and Cardinals also have expressed interest in the right-hander.
    According to MLB. com, Wells is earning $3.175 million this season, and will head into his final year of arbitration eligibility in the offseason. Because the Bucs have depth at starting pitching with Zach Duke and Ian Snell banging on the door at Triple-A, Wells could be dealt to add a much-needed power bat to the Bucs' offense.

Odalis Perez
    Interested: ???

The Dodgers are shopping Odalis Perez, but the left-hander is owed close to $24 million through 2007 and is 4-5 with a 5.06 ERA.

Jose Contreras
    Interested: Giants, Marlins, Blue Jays

The White Sox contineu to look for a front-line starter to take Jose Contreras' spot in the rotation, the Daily Southtown reports. Over the last two weeks, trade rumors have had Contreras being dealt to Florida, Toronto and San Francisco in exchange for another pitcher.
    "I don't read the newspapers since I can't speak English, but even if I could, I wouldn't read it," Contreras told the newspaper. "Those things don't really bother me. As much as I think about that kind of talk, it's not in my control. If they're going to make a decision, they're going to make it. All I can do is come here every morning and get ready for my next start."

Excuse me but the Yankee portion of this is total BS. Why would the Yankees mention Pavano when the rest of their starters are 60 years old a piece outside of Wang? Lowell doesn't play CF, so where would he play?

2 needs for the Yankees, CF and pitching. Lowell satisfies neither. I believe the Soriano rumor more.

Mike Lowell
    Interested: Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Orioles

Having reached an impasse with the Orioles about A.J. Burnett, the Marlins now are making calls to other teams about the pitcher and third baseman Mike Lowell, the Miami Herald reports. The Marlins continue to insist that any deal involving Burnett also must include Lowell, whose large contract and poor offensive numbers this season have combined to subdue interest. Lowell is owed close to $21 million for the balance of his contract -- roughly $3 million for this season and $9 million in each of the next two years.
    The Red Sox and Yankees have been mentioned as possible trade partners. If the Red Sox become involved, it's likely pitcher Bronson Arroyo and prospects would have to be included. Yankees pitchers Carl Pavano and Felix Rodriguez also have been mentioned as possible trade targets for Florida.

honestly, if you notice, not much makes sense, but im just passing around what is being said on ESPN Insider.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Most of what the yankees do is senseless, so why not... maybe they'll trade for Julio Franco and make him the 2nd baseman, eh eh eh?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    the sox arent really looking for a front line starter. they dont really need one. with garcia, garland and buerhle, not to mention El Duque, i would think that would be enough for a rotation.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1