Thread: Roy Oswalt update

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB Roy Oswalt update

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Roy Oswalt threw a bullpen session for the Phillies last week and the RedSox this week near his home in Mississippi.
    One source told Rosenthal that Oswalt "appeared to be in good shape" but was "more in spring-training mode than mid-season form," which is not surprising. Assuming Vance Worley's elbow injury is indeed minor as the Phillies have said, it would appear that the Red Sox would be a better fit for the veteran right-hander. But, Oswalt might prefer the familiarity with the Phillies. He figures to be pitching for someone around the All-Star break.
    Red Sox definitely need a positive boost after their slow start which was in part because of their pitching. They seem the most desperate but Oswalt would most definitely prefer Philly.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Roy Oswalt update

Yup, if Worley's elbow is okay, there's no reason for them to bother with Oswalt.

Boston is getting Daisuke back in a few weeks, too...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He should so go to Baltimore.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels wouldn't rule out a pursuit of Roy Oswalt following the injury to Neftali Feliz (elbow).
    Feliz is likely out at least until the All-Star break, and it's possible he might not be ready to start when he does return. The Rangers will fill his spot with Scott Feldman for now, but they're not committed to him long-term. Oswalt threw for the Rangers last Friday and reportedly would like to sign on with someone soon.
    Looks like Oswalt could be headed back to the state of Texas

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Dodgers have made an offer to Roy Oswalt, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). The Rangers, who are likely Oswalt's preferred team, are still in mix among other clubs.

Yesterday, it was reported that the Dodgers inquired on the veteran at one point but didn't appear to be involved any longer. The Brewers also checked in on Oswalt but didn't feel that his salary could fit into their budget. A major league source told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that Oswalt's preferred destinations are Texas and St. Louis, just as they were during the offseason.
    I am really hoping another team outbids the Dodgers!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's going to St. Louis, book it. BEST FANS IN THE WORLD, PEOPLE!!
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 05-29-2012 at 02:55 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Rangers are "actively engaged" in negotiations with Roy Oswalt and may be pushed into finalizing a decision this week.
    The Rangers have emerged as the clear favorite now that Neftali Feliz (elbow) is expected to be sidelined until the All-Star break and could be limited to a relief role upon his return. The Dodgers also plan to negotiate with Oswalt and may get more aggressive in their pursuit after Ted Lilly (shoulder) was placed on the disabled list Thursday. According to Nightengale, Oswalt is seeking $5 million to $7.5 million in a potential contract. He will likely need three or four weeks to be major-league ready.
    Mofo might want to change his "book it"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers have signed Roy Oswalt.
    FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal says the deal is worth between $5-6 million, prorated to the length of time Oswalt is on the Rangers' roster. The veteran right-hander drew interest this month from the Red Sox, Phillies, Dodgers, Orioles and Cardinals before ultimately agreeing to a contract with Texas. He'll likely need a couple weeks to get in pitching shape, then another week or two of rehab games. Look for Oswalt to join the Rangers' rotation sometime in late June.
    Jon Daniels strikes again! Good fit for both teams given the circumstances.

Rookie ERA

Good deal. I honestly thought he'd get more.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Was reading before that the Rangers were maxed on salary, and needed board approval to get this deal done. I imagine Nolan walking into the room smiling, and everyone saying "yes". Or something like that...

MLB ERA

Looks like the Rangers are serious about getting back to the WS.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I am really hoping another team outbids the Dodgers!
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Mofo might want to change his "book it"
    Surprised you didn't say I should hang myself that the Dodgers aren't getting Oswalt per your typical douche way of summoning me to a story that, if not for one lousy rumor you found for that sole purpose, I don't give shit about otherwise.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 05-30-2012 at 05:17 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yep, that's what always happens! This entire thread was ALL about you!