Thread: Oswalt pulling a Clemens?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Baseball Slant Oswalt pulling a Clemens?

Per ESPN
    After waiting until spring training and failing to land a job to his satisfaction, free agent pitcher Roy Oswalt has told major league clubs that he might pull a Roger Clemens and return midseason, according to a baseball source.

Oswalt, 34, has told teams that he plans to keep throwing, stay ready and would be willing to return during the season if nothing materializes before then. That approach would mirror what Clemens did in 2006 and 2007, when he returned in June to pitch for the Houston Astros and then the New York Yankees.

Oswalt's second-half track record suggests that signing the pitcher at midseason might be a coup. According to ESPN Stats & Information, of the 84 pitchers who were active at the end of last season, Oswalt has the best career winning percentage (.739) after the All-Star break (minimum 50 starts).

Oswalt's agent, Bob Garber, gave an update on his client's status in a statement released to the media Thursday afternoon.

"After much thought and careful consideration, Roy has decided to continue to evaluate his options," Garber said in the statement. "He is in great health and will continue to stay in shape, while throwing regularly off the mound. Roy has every intention of pitching for a contending club at some point this season."

Oswalt is 159-93 with three All-Star appearances in 11 seasons with Houston and the Philadelphia Phillies. The Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers are among the clubs that expressed interest in Oswalt this offseason, but weren't able to fit him into their budget or starting rotation.
    I'm sure a team will lose a starter at some point during the spring and Oswalt will be the savior. Oswalt finished last season strong and I am really surprised the Angels haven't signed him to be their 5th starter.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Oswalt pulling a Clemens?

Color me interested if Hanson has lingering concussion issues and Hudson's recovery falls off the tracks. /wishful

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was expecting "pulling a Clemens" to mean using a verb that only a dumbass deems as English worthy for the U.S. Congressional Hearings or sticking a needle in one's own butt.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

...or throwing broken bats at All Star catchers.

Seriously, it's not a bad move for Oswalt. I think he's more of a pitcher that gets stronger with innings, not a guy who just seems to dominate the second half, so teams should probably be a little weary.

ERA
    Call NASA

No one can pull a Clemens. There is only one rocket.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

ESPN's Jim Bowden reports the Angels are "suddenly the front-runner" for free agent Roy Oswalt.
    The Red Sox ''remain in the picture,'' while the Rangers and Cardinals are no longer considered realistic destinations. Oswalt announced last month that he plans to stay in shape and return by midseason. He would presumably secure the final spot in the Angels' rotation in favor of Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams.
    I've said all along they would be the best fit giving them the best rotation in baseball. Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana and Oswalt would give them the best shot at the division.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

That would be a rediculous rotation! Amazing!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They don't need a 5th starter for a couple weeks, either, so it makes perfect sense. Hopefully something gets done shortly.