Thread: Santos to the Jays

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blue Jays Santos to the Jays

Per MLBTR
    The Blue Jays acquired reliever Sergio Santos from the White Sox for righty prospect Nestor Molina, announced the team.

In Santos, 28, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos found his closer on the trade market. The converted infielder posted a 3.55 ERA, 13.1 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, and 43% groundball rate in 63 1/3 innings for the White Sox this year, saving 30 games in 36 tries. He was formerly a shortstop in Toronto's minor league system from 2006-08. It was surprising to see Santos dealt, as there had been no rumors and he signed a three-year, $8.25MM deal with the Sox in September. The contract includes three club options, so the Blue Jays have cost certainty on Santos potentially through 2017.

Molina, 22, posted a 2.21 ERA, 10.2 K/9, 1.1 BB/9, and 0.6 HR/9 in 130 1/3 innings across High and Double-A this year. Molina is a converted infielder himself, and appears close to MLB-ready. Though Molina was not among the Blue Jays' top 30 prospects in Baseball America's handbook before the season, his stock presumably rose with his excellent 2011. Plus, the Blue Jays have one of baseball's best farm systems.

The trade seems to signal an impending rebuilding effort for the White Sox. Santos himself was affordable, but perhaps GM Kenny Williams preferred a future rotation candidate in Molina. A lot is riding on Molina after this surprising one-for-one swap. Anthopoulos and Williams matched up once before, on the July deal that sent Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart to Chicago for Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen.
    Fantastic trade for the Jays. They get a good, affordable closer without giving up a top prospect. Santos has done well in his first two seasons as a reliever and should continue to get better. In a market where closers get ridiculous amounts of money, the Jays got a steal on this one.

I expect Danks and Floyd to be the next ones traded. Quentin is likely a goner too.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Santos to the Jays

Molina sounds like a better prospect than you think.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh dear lord! Another name that Molina???

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Molina sounds like a better prospect than you think.
    Than I think?

Rookie ERA

The Blue Jay fans from another forum I post at is crucifying AA for sending Molina for Santos.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah a lot of fans liked Molina and rightfully so. He has great numbers so far through AA but the Jays have an abundance of pitching. I just now read that John Sickels has Molina as the Jays #2 prospect which changes my view a bit. Also, look at who will most likely be replacing Santos for the White Sox. Addison Reed Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pitching prospects are hit-or-miss, like Kyle Drabek. Good deal, Santos proved last year that he could close.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Keith Law liked the deal, so how can I say I don't like the deal.

Molina is a "good" prospect, B+ level in the minds of some people. The "problem" with him is that they don't know if he'll be a starter, or a reliever. If he turns out as a reliever, we'll than I'll consider this a big win for the Jays. If he gets into the major leagues as a starter, than I'll consider it less of a success for the Jays.

The prize for FA "closers" these days makes a trade like this easy to understand. If your not willing to spend big money, than a trade like this makes perfect sence.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    Keith Law liked the deal, so how can I say I don't like the deal.
    Easily