Thread: Phillies Sign Papelbon

Rookie ERA

Phillies Phillies Sign Papelbon

Sources say Papelbon deal is four years and approaches $50 million, pending physical #phillies
    https://twitter.com/#!/JSalisburyCSN/status/135078864656416769

Jonathan Papelbon is closing the book on his tenure with the Boston Red Sox.

Papelbon, the longtime Red Sox right-hander who has anchored their bullpen for six years, including a World Series title in 2007, has agreed to a four-year, $50 million deal with the Philadelphia Phillies pending a physical, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com senior writer Jayson Stark on Friday.

The deal includes a vesting option that could take it beyond $60 million for the 31-year-old, the source said.

If finalized, the contract would be the largest total package ever signed by a relief pitcher. The previous high was the five-year, $47 million deal signed by B.J. Ryan with Toronto in December 2005.

The $12.5 million average annual value of the deal would be tied for the second-highest ever signed by a reliever.

Mariano Rivera's $15 million a year, in each of his last two contracts, ranks No. 1.

Papelbon's annual pay would be tied with former Phillies closer Brad Lidge, who signed a three-year, $37.5 million extension during the 2008 season, covering the 2009-11 seasons.

Papelbon takes 219 career saves, with a 2.33 ERA and 1.02 WHIP, with him to Philadelphia, despite pitching his entire career in the AL East.

Papelbon was a Type A free agent, and no Type A free agent had changed teams this winter as the compensation rules governing premier free agents continue to be negotiated by players and owners at the bargaining table.

The deal also comes after the Red Sox said they would like to re-sign Papelbon, and the Toronto Blue Jays and Florida Marlins reportedly also had expressed strong interest.
    Jonathan Papelbon, Philadelphia Phillies agree to 4-year, $50 million deal, source says - ESPN

Wow! Forget Madson, insert Papelbon.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Phillies Sign Papelbon

Madson will get overpaid by someone, perhaps Boston even. now. Hard to believe he was close to getting a BJ Ryan type of contract.

Well, should be interesting now for Papelbon. NL...but in a rough place to pitch.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Leagues don't really matter when it comes to closers since they're not facing pitchers anyway. Terrible move by the Phillies!! Not only are they overpaying for the closer role, they're giving up draft picks to do so. ESPN had a great article showing that four year contracts for relievers just do not work!

MLB ERA

Bye paps won't miss you!!!

MLB ERA

Of course. He's no longer in Boston so he's obviously overrated

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Much like Epstein, Francona, and Babe Ruth. And Dave Roberts.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Terrible deal. Papsmear has always been about the money. When the Sox wanted to sign him to a long-term deal at the start of his arbitration, he said no because he wanted to go year-to-year to maximize his money...then get the richest contract for a closer as a FA. Congrats dude. Good luck.

I understand, blah blah, get the money. Many people would do the same thing. But how much money does one need when we're talking millions and millions?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Those terrible haircuts cost monies.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Terrible deal. Papsmear has always been about the money. When the Sox wanted to sign him to a long-term deal at the start of his arbitration, he said no because he wanted to go year-to-year to maximize his money...then get the richest contract for a closer as a FA. Congrats dude. Good luck.
    So? By going year-to-year, he also assumed the risk of a career-altering injury or a bad slump that forces him out of the closer's job in any given year. The guys who take the long-term deal don't do so out of mere loyalty to the team, but for the security of guaranteed money.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    So? By going year-to-year, he also assumed the risk of a career-altering injury or a bad slump that forces him out of the closer's job in any given year. The guys who take the long-term deal don't do so out of mere loyalty to the team, but for the security of guaranteed money.
    I'm sure the injury risk thought process didn't enter his mind. He's too much of an egomaniac to think about that. Mo' money, mo' money!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I'm sure the injury risk thought process didn't enter his mind. He's too much of an egomaniac to think about that. Mo' money, mo' money!
    Just because you think he's an egomaniac for going year-to-year to maximize his money doesn't mean the risk isn't real. Fun fact: Russell Martin turned down overtures for a long term contract following his career best 2007 season, only to watch his production decline every year since until he was non-tendered last winter.

MLB ERA

That isn't the only reason I think he's an egomaniac.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Bye paps won't miss you!!!
    Go ahead and tell me you won't miss his entrance.