Thread: Sabathia agrees to extension

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Sabathia agrees to extension

Per MLBTR.com
    C.C. Sabathia announced that he has agreed to a contract extension with the Yankees. The announcement comes via the left-hander's Twitter account and on Zoodig.com. The 31-year-old left-hander could have opted out of the remaining four years and $92MM of his original seven-year, $161MM with New York by midnight tonight.

ESPN's Buster Olney says (via Twitter) it's a one-year extension worth $25MM for 2016 while Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports adds (on Twitter) that there is a vesting option for 2017 worth $25MM with a $5MM buyout. Joel Sherman of The New York Post reports (on Twitter) that the option automatically vests unless Sabathia is disabled by a left shoulder injury.
    Looks like at worst it's one more year for the Yankees and Sabathia adding on to the existing contract. Sabathia has lived up to his contract so far but it going on the backend of his prime right now and should decline. It will be interesting to see just how much more of this contract he will earn. One thing is for sure, the Yankees needed him like no other player.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Sabathia agrees to extension

Sabathia is now the highest paid pitcher, surpassing former teammate Cliff Lee. Congrats on overpaying Yankees!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Sabathia is now the highest paid pitcher, surpassing former teammate Cliff Lee. Congrats on overpaying Yankees!
    agreed, they shouldve told him to go away, because hes done nothing to justify being the highest paid pitcher in the league. if you want everyone to be paid according to absolute production on a year to year basis, then everyone should have one year contracts... thatll fix everything.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think it was necessary to over pay. The guy would have multiple Cy Youngs as a Yankee if not for various amazing career years by other great pitchers. He's a great anchor.

They just won't be winning any championships any time soon until he gets back up in the rotation.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree they needed him but find it's just like the ARod situation all over again. Who was going to match the Yankees offer?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I agree they needed him but find it's just like the ARod situation all over again. Who was going to match the Yankees offer?
    who cares... pay him and get it over with. its not my money, and the yankees have never shown a problem with spending dollar upon dollar upon dollar. get him signed, and go focus on something else, who cares what it takes. why lowball him and have this drag on throughout the offseason, and youre handcuffed from doing anything else?