Thread: [LONGSHOT RUMOR] Burnett to Sox; Arroyo to Marlins

[LONGSHOT RUMOR] Burnett to Sox; Arroyo to Marlins

I am taking this directly off another forum I go to, word for word, so I cannot confirm anything. Others are saying that a trade will be announced, but no details on what

From SOSH-Take this with a grain of salt

I guess there were rumbings in the press box about a trade involving either the Sox or the Marlins that couldn't officially be announced until after the Marlins game tonight or something. I don't know the full details, but I guess they got out to the grandstands and the fans were buzzing with it on the web. It's a three-way involving the Padres.

San Diego gets-
    Abe Alvarez

Florida gets-
    Sean Burroughs
    Kelly Shoppach
    Bronson Arroyo

Boston gets-
    A.J. Burnett
    Mike Lowell

Supposedly this would coincide with a Millar to Houston for a reliever(likely Chad Qualls) trade, allowing Lowell to play at first.
    I don't know how I feel. Obviously, Burnett would be a shot in the arm for the Sox rotation and if Lowell could hit like he had in the past, he'd be a huge upgrade from Millar (or Mueller if he goes off as FA, opening 1st for Youk). Abe Alvarez isn't a major loss nor is Shoppach, but Arroyo...damn...
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What a ripoff. Boston fans make me sick with their own trade rumors. And for the hundredth time, no, you can't have Gagne.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Can they have Edwin Jackson and a box of fruit loops?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Burnett really isn't that much better than Arroyo.

Of course, Arroyo is actually a *gasp* underrated Red Sox (there are plenty of overrated ones there for you guys to kill), so he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

BTW, where are these Sox fans making up rumors for guys like Jackson and Gagne again? It's not like that rumor on the Reds forum for Jackson/Billingsley/Catcher Prospect (Forgetting name, but he's good). I admitted it's a long-shot rumor and it was reported on Sons of Sam Horn, which while containing intelligent people, is a Boston based website. I really don't know why you have to classify a massive group of people because someone heard a trade rumor of all things.

No thanks.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Who knows? Anything is possible.

I just don't see Florida or anyone else helping the defending world champ or a big payroll team without robbing them blind. In that trade scenario, Boston comes out pretty good.

I also think that there will be plenty of takers that will give quite a bit for Burnett.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    that trade is a ripoff in the sox favor...sorry. if the marlins and padres do that, then they're not too bright.

I'm not saying it will happen, I don't think it will, but is it really that bad? Consider:

SD gives Sean Burroughs for Abe Alvarez. Abe Alvarez isn't a bad prospect. If I'm SD I do want someone better, but Burroughs has been sorely disappointing this year.

FLA gives Burnett and Lowell for Burroughs, Arroyo, and Shoppach. Most teams know that FLA will not be able to afford to extend Burnett. Getting Arroyo, an option with less potential but only slightly worse at this moment, is an acceptable and much cheaper replacment. With Burroughs you're replacing Lowell for a much smaller price, and although Burroughs has sucked so far this year, Lowell has been subpar. Shoppach is a nice catcher prospect to replace LoDuca in a few years when he is gone or to be used in another facet. Consider Arroyo has been in the mid-3's in ERA outside of Fenway, he could flourish in FLA.

The Sox get a pitcher they can afford to resign and keep along with a 3B who could be helped by a move to a hitter's park (unlike the FLA Stadium, pitcher's paradise, which does inflate Burnett's value). Lowell could replace Millar if he is traded at 1B and the Sox can always use a pitching upgrade.

Obviously a longshot, but the rumor isn't that far out.