Thread: Rumors: Kip Wells, Shingo Takatsu, Mike Lowell and more!

Rumors: Kip Wells, Shingo Takatsu, Mike Lowell and more!

Every inquiry is taken from ESPN Insider besides the last note mentioned about Jack McKeon which is also posted on Insider, that note about McKeon came from Rotoworld.

Kip Wells
    Who is Interested: Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Tigers, Devil Rays, Blue Jays, Phillies

Jul 18 - The Phillies have expressed some interest in acquiring Kip Wells, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. A Phillies' scout at Wrigley Field on Sunday to watch Wells pitch, but the 28-year-old right-hander turned in yet another abysmal road start in the Pirates' 8-2 loss. With starting pitchers at a premium, scouts from Toronto, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Arizona and St. Louis also showed up.
    Accordin to MLB. com, Wells is earning $3.175 million this season, and will head into his final year of arbitration eligibility in the offseason. Because the Bucs have depth at starting pitching with Zach Duke and Ian Snell banging on the door at Triple-A, Wells could be dealt to add a much-needed power bat to the offense.

Mike Lowell
    Who is Interested: Orioles

Jul 18 - Mike Lowell could have a new home soon. According to the Miami Herald, the third baseman might be be packaged to the Orioles in an A.J. Burnett trade. If the O's acquire Lowell, there is a chance he would be moved to first base, the Washington Post reports. Lowell is making $7.5 million this season and signed through next year, and the cost-cutting Marlins are ready to unload his salary.

Mike MacDougal
    Who is Interested: Cubs, Marlins

Jul 18 - According to the Fort Lauderdal Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins have expressed interest in closer Mike MacDougal. The lanky right-hander has a team-high 12 saves for Royals, is making just $352,000 and won't be eligible for salary arbitration for another full season.

AJ Burnett
    Who is Interested: Orioles, Red Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, Angels, Dodgers, White Sox

Jul 18 - According to the Miami Herald, the Marlins are ready to deal, and the Orioles are the favorite to land A.J. Burnett -- though Florida has talked to a host of teams about Burnett, and one report had him and Mike Lowell going in a three-way trade that involved the Red Sox and Padres.
    The O's have the upper hand in dealings, and one of the key issues hinges on whether Burnett agrees to a contract extension. Burnett, who is eligible for free agency after the season, is looking for a four- or five-year deal that would pay him about $9 million to $10 million annually. According to multiple sources, the Orioles would agree to a deal either way, but their package to the Marlins would differ based on whether they can convince Burnett to sign long-term with them.

In return for Burnett, Baltimore would send the Marlins pitching prospect Hayden Penn, right-handed reliever Jorge Julio and outfielder Larry Bigbie. The Orioles also could throw in left-handed reliever Steve Kline.

Vicente Padilla
    Who is Interested: Rangers

Jul 18 - According to PhillyBurbs.com, the Rangers have begun monitoring Vicente Padilla. Word is the Phillies have been eager to deal the right-hander, but GM Ed Wade could change his mind now that Padilla (5-8 with a 5.61 ERA) has followed a string of bad starts with two gems.

Jim Thome
    Who is Interested: ???

Jul 18 - The Phillies will be hard-pressed to find a taker for first baseman Jim Thome, who is available, PhillyBurbs.com reports. Thome's recent run of injuries and lack of production this season are a concern even if the Phillies would agree to eat some of the $43.5 million the first baseman is owed beyond 2005. The feeling also is Thome would drop his no-trade clause only for a few teams, perhaps the Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals and Indians. None of those teams are in the market for an expensive first baseman/designated hitter.

Billy Wagner
    Who is Interested: Cardinals, Red Sox

Jul 18 - The Red Sox are interested in Billy Wagner, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. Bill Lajoie, the Sox special assistant to the general manager, was in Philadelphia over the weekend, keeping an eye on the Phillies closer.
    Wagner expects to be traded if the Phillies fade out of contention, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. "I definitely would be disappointed [if the Phillies are out of it] and I wasn't traded," Wagner told the newspaper. "[GM] Ed Wade didn't bring me here to pitch for a team that's selling. It's unfathomable to think I wouldn't be traded if we don't have a chance for the wild card."

Jeremy Affeldt
    Who is Interested: Marlins

Jul 18 - The Marlins have talked to Kansas City about lefty reliever Jeremy Affeldt, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. Affeldt had 13 saves in 17 chances last season, and the rebuilding Royals are expected to ask for a top young corner outfielder in return. Florida has deemed Double-A outfielder Jeremy Hermida untouchable, and no other high-level Marlins prospect would seem to fit that demand.
    It's possible the Royals could seek to expand a deal to include veteran outfielders Matt Stairs or Terrence Long. Both would fit the Marlins' need for a potent lefty bat, and the Marlins have shown interest in Stairs before. Stairs is making $1.2 million and leads the Royals with a .381 on-base percentage.

At least a half-dozen clubs have inquired about Affeldt, 26, who is rehabbing a groin injury at Triple-A Omaha and has been bothered by blister problems in the past. He is making $950,000 and eligible for salary arbitration.

Kevin Millar
    Who is Interested: Astros

Jul 18 - According to the Hartford Courant, Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar has made it clear he doesn't want to be traded. "I can't imagine going anywhere else. I really couldn't," he told the newspaper. "I feel like, seriously, I've been here for 10 years. This is it."
    Millar, in the final year of his contract, has been the subject of trade rumors since late May. He insists he has never asked to be traded. "You know as well as I know, if I was unhappy, I'd go and tell you I was unhappy," Millar said. "I haven't said one thing. Let me just make it real easy. When I hit, I'm a hell of a defensive first baseman. If I don't hit, I'm below average, I'm a defensive nuisance."

Placido Polanco
    Who is Interested: Cubs, Dodgers

Jul 18 - Placido Polanco would like to remain with the Tigers, the Detroit News reports. Before the All-Star Game, Polanco said he wanted to stay with the Tigers. The game, and the way the city reacted to it, merely strengthened that feeling. Instead of the Tigers' making the first move about a contract, Polanco has suggested to his agent that he should. The question is whether his agent will talk reasonably with the Tigers or play hardball knowing he can offer Polanco to the highest offseason bidder.

Shingo Takatsu
    Who is Interested: Diamondbacks

Jul 18 - According to the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox could trade reliever Shingo Takatsu to the Diamondbacks if Arizona can't strike a deal with Pittsburgh. If Takatsu stays, the Sox may elect to option rookie pitcher Bobby Jenks to Triple-A Charlotte to make room for Orlando Hernandez, who will be activated.

Jack McKeon

A source told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the Marlins are giving serious consideration to firing manager Jack McKeon.
    Just a year and a half after the World series victory. If McKeon goes, candidates to replace him include Yankees bench coach Joe Girardi, Marlins managers Jim Leyland and Jeff Torborg, Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella, former Red Sox manager Grady Little and Braves third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez.

I hope the Cardinals will not get Wagner, cuz Wagner Izzy combination in the 8th and the 9th is scary.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Shingo got demoted, so I can bet he's gone soon.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    I don't like the idea of Kip Wells in Toronto
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with TrUe. Wagner as a Card sounds too scary. Nice fin msneezie!

MLB ERA
    I don't see the Cards making a deal for Wagner. They already have Ray King in their pen, who is lights-out against lefties, and Isringhausen has been great all-around. I doubt they wanna pay nine million for a set-up man.