Thread: Tigers, Indians like Harang

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres Tigers, Indians like Harang

Per MLBTR.com
    The top two teams in the American League Central are both looking for starting pitching depth and, in at least a couple of instances, they're interested in the exact same pitcher. The Indians and Tigers have interest in Aaron Harang, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). Earlier today, Heyman reported that both clubs have interest in Hiroki Kuroda.

The Indians, who lead the Tigers by a half game after today's win, are looking to add a starting pitcher (here's a look at who's available). The Tigers hope to do the same and have some interest in Ubaldo Jimenez, Jeremy Guthrie, Derek Lowe and others.

Harang, 33, has a 3.19 ERA with 6.3 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 through 93 innings this year. He may be profiting from pitcher-friendly Petco Park and the fact that opponents are hitting just .281 against him on balls in play (26 points below his career mark).

The ten-year veteran earns $4MM this season with a $5MM mutual option for 2012 ($500K buyout). He doesn't project as a ranked free agent under the Elias formula, so draft pick compensation does not appear to factor in to Harang's trade value.

Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports confirms that the Tigers are interested in Harang and adds that Detroit is not taking serious looks at Mark Reynolds or Wilson Betemit at the moment (Twitter links).
    Harang has had a nice bounce back season and I think he would be better suited staying in the NL but playing in Comerica wouldn't be so bad as it's a hitter's park. Tigers definitely need help in that rotation which ranks 19th in all of baseball, the Indians rank 24th so Harang would do both teams some good.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Tigers, Indians like Harang

According to Jayson Stark of ESPN, teams that have inquired on Aaron Harang have been getting the vibe that the Padres want to re-sign the right-hander.
    Harang has flourished in his move to the bigger ballparks of the National League West, currently boasting a 3.45 ERA and 1.30 WHIP through 17 starts. He's only 33, and the Padres may be able retain him at a discount.
    It makes sense as Harang has a $5 million mutual option for next year but the Padres aren't likely to compete so why not get value now?

MLB ERA

Re: Tigers, Indians like Harang

The Padres still have the third best pitching staff in the bigs so all they need to do is shore up the offense a bit. I'm not against trading Harang for the right price, nor am I holding my breath for them competing in 2012, I'm just saying it 's not a given that they'll suck again.