Thread: A Comeback for Washburn?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB A Comeback for Washburn?

Veteran lefty Jarrod Washburn sat out the 2010 season, but he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports he's undecided on 2011. Noting that he's been contacted by a couple of teams this week, Washburn explained, "I will not say I am 100 percent retired because a great opportunity might present itself."

Morosi adds that a great opportunity translates as close to Washburn's Wisconsin home. The Brewers or Twins might be his top choices, and both teams should be in the hunt for starting pitching. One point in Milwaukee's favor is their hiring of Ron Roenicke, who worked with Washburn during his Angels days.

Washburn, 36, is a candidate to provide 175 innings of 4.50 ball in 2011. His asking price is an unknown; he's represented by Scott Boras.
    Washburn could be one of those diamonds in the rough that teams pray work out. He is definitely well rested and has plenty of time to get in shape for 2011. His knee should be totally healed so I can definitely see teams giving him a chance to be a back end starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see other guys like Washburn to be offered jobs like Jermaine Dye.

MLB ERA

Re: A Comeback for Washburn?

The Twins could use a veteran presence in their rotation, especially if they lose Pavano, but at what cost? They offered him $5M last season and he turned it down -- and he didn't get a better offer.
    Were I Bill Smith, I'd "kick the tires", but not offer too much.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see Washburn getting anything close to $5 million. $1 million would be about as much I would spend on guaranteed money.

MLB ERA

Nor do I. Maybe a $1M contract with the stipulation that he earns it only if he makes the team out of spring training.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Washburn is held up by the fact that he's not very good.