Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] Jays and Braves swap Shortstops among others.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Blue Jays [Trade] Jays and Braves swap Shortstops among others.

Blue Jays acquire Escobar for Gonzalez | MLB.com: News

TORONTO -- The Blue Jays and Braves exchanged shortstops on Wednesday in a five-player trade that sent Yunel Escobar to Toronto and Alex Gonzalez to Atlanta.

As part of the trade, the Blue Jays also acquired left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes and the Braves received Minor League lefty Tim Collins and Minor League infielder Tyler Pastornicky.
    I thought the Braves kept saying Escobar wasn't going anywhere.

MLB ERA

re: [Trade] Jays and Braves swap Shortstops among others.

i like it, Gonzalez was likely only here for this season thats it, great job AA
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am not too versed on Toronto's prospects, but getting Escobar is a great move.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He hasn't hit well this season, which is probably more of a fluke, but his power is way down. No home runs and a slugging under .300. That's like, umm.. Henry Rowengartner type power, or something.

This is a great move for Atlanta because Escobar is a head case and proven slacker, he never really fit in with the clubhouse aura. And Infante has simply out played him and has shown more character the last couple of years.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's a move that makes sense for both teams. Escobar has struggled, but new scenery really could turn him around (look at a guy like Brandon Phillips.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't think the deal has anything to do with him having a down year. You're a contending team, do you want the veteran you hear little about or the guy who teammates wished he played harder.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wasn't saying it was, but I am sure it had something to do with making him available. I was just commenting more so on Escobar maybe getting a wakeup call and turning it around.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Maybe. But then again he goes from contender to a 4th best team in a division. And Canada. No pressure, except to start hitting to get a pay raise one day. Or he turns into a journeyman defender. Who knows. I'd rather go for a steady guy and prospects at this point vs. a lazy pro and a guy who had a 5 plus ERA in AAA.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think Frank Wren put it best, Escobar might have his best years down the road.
    Ted

MLB ERA

My gut reaction was that I'm sad to see Yunel go, but looking at what Alex Gonzalez has done in 2010 it sounds like its a good trade for both sides.

Yunel was the Braves best player last season IMO. I thought he could turn his BA around in the second half. This probably had as much to do with his relationship with the players & manager than anything else.

For some reason, I thought Yunel was a lot, a lot younger than 27. That's not all that young actually.

Escobar's been a pain in the ass to watch, and apparently a pain in the ass in the clubhouse. Not much of a decision for a contending team like KoZ said...have fun in Canada, eh.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
    My gut reaction was that I'm sad to see Yunel go, but looking at what Alex Gonzalez has done in 2010 it sounds like its a good trade for both sides.

Yunel was the Braves best player last season IMO. I thought he could turn his BA around in the second half. This probably had as much to do with his relationship with the players & manager than anything else.

For some reason, I thought Yunel was a lot, a lot younger than 27. That's not all that young actually.
    Yeah, I too thought he was younger (more like 25.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

See, this is what I don't fully understand. Toronto is banking on Yunel's "potential" I assume? I mean, they dealt a cheap contract veteran and prospects to get him and a bum. I have to think if you hold out a little longer, a contender is going to pay up prospects for Gonzalez. I mean, he's having a career year power wise, who wouldn't want a solid defensive guy with power at the bottom of their lineup? Right now, this season is a wash for Escobar, so they're hoping for something big next season? I just wonder if he just gets pawned off for something, you're not a very good team, you're rebuilding/reloading, a 27-28 year old short stop with character concerns doesn't seem to fit that mold.
    Ted

MLB ERA

Escobar's situation is a sad one. He seemed to have loads of potential, but wasn't able to fulfill those expectations. It become obvious when watching the Braves this year that he was not going to take the next step in his development. The problem was that the Braves don't have any Major League ready shortstops in the minors. I'm a little uneasy about this trade, namely because the potential of Escobar isn't too far in the back of my mind, but I think it was time to part ways. Thankfully, Wren realized the reality of the situation and got something out of Escobar, quite unlike what transpired with Jeff Francoeur. Honestly, I think Toronto made a very lousy decision to trade for Escobar. There's certainly the potential there, but I'm not sure that the potential was quite what we all thought it was. Granted, they weren't going anywhere and Alex Gonzalez certainly wasn't a part of their upcoming plan, but Yunel Escobar isn't much of a prize. Gonzalez should help the Braves, and immediately becomes the home run leader on the team ()... Hopefully, as a Braves fan, this trade can give the lineup added stability to hang onto the the lead in the NL East.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ganzalez goes from being absolute shite in the last few years, to having a career year. You trade him now. Yeah I realize that there isn't a solid prospect in the trade coming back, but AA likes his reclamation projects. Reyes may, or may not do something. THATS EVERY SINGLE PROSPECT IN THE WORLD!!!!! You never know. You role the dice and make something happen now with a player that is own track to have his best year after 12 years in the big leagues. You guys act like Gonzalez and his .259/.296/.497 are gonna be a god send.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast