Thread: Mariners and Bedard close to 1 yr deal

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mariners Mariners and Bedard close to 1 yr deal

AP source: Mariners, Bedard close to 1-year deal - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

SEATTLE (AP)—The Seattle Mariners and left-hander Erik Bedard(notes) are getting close to a one-year contract, pending a physical, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because the Mariners have not announced the deal.

The contract is expected to have a base salary for a fraction of $7.75 million the 30-year-old Bedard made last season, and it would likely include incentive clauses.
    Rumors from ESPN Radio 710 and KJR 950 say its believed to be a 1.5 million base salary with a ton of incentives. I like this deal for a guy like Bedard, while he's really injury prone, instead of dishing out 10 Mill for Ben Sheets.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Mariners and Bedard close to 1 yr deal

Great deal if those are the numbers, for both sides. Pitching in Seattle won't hurt and being able to sit behind guys like Hernandez and Lee will mean that Bedard won't feel pressured to carry a rotation.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Great deal if those are the numbers, for both sides. Pitching in Seattle won't hurt and being able to sit behind guys like Hernandez and Lee will mean that Bedard won't feel pressured to carry a rotation.
    This. Bedard just never had what it takes mentally to be an ace. Living up to that ridiculous price that Bavasi paid to get him also affected him IMO. Situation should be perfect for him, come back around late June-early July, hopefully we're around 1st place and he can takes us from a good team to a great one. Even though he was a bust of epic proportions in Seattle, when he did pitch he was very good still. Excited to potentially have a Felix-Lee-Bedard rotation come playoff time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We all know Bavasi = nutless monkey fornicating a football. Bedard's ERA was still under 3 with all the arm troubles. You cant expect him to repeat it but he keeps it in the range of a low 3-high 4. He will be effective for the M's. I'm wondering if they are saving the extra money for a possible contract extension for Cliff Lee.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

I think Bedard will put up similar numbers to the ones he has put up so far as a Mariner. The main question is over how many starts though. Hopefully he is able to pitch by June and hopefully he is healthy in Septemeber. Neither of those are that likely though given his history.

And I don't think we're going to re-sign Lee. Some team is going to give him like a 6/100 deal and I hope it's not us. If he loves Seattle and wants to come back at a discount I'd be all for it, but I don't see it happening. We've still got too many holes to be putting that much money into two starting pitchers.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think he has had what it takes to be an ace. Look at his numbers with the O's and look at the division he pitched in. The dude was one of the best there was a few years ago. Just underrated IMO. If he bounces back, this could be an amazing signing! Again, well done M's!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hes had two major surgeries, redsr. You can't expect him to be that same pitcher he was in Baltimore. He's a middle of the rotation at best pitcher right now. The incentives could get him up to 7.5 million.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

He's a high-risk player in regards to his playing time. But that low base salary makes this a pretty low risk. And it could turn into a high reward. The way I see it is as an early trading deadline acquisition. If the Mariners are contending around June and July, they will have an arm like Bedard getting into the swing of things in the three slot. Gives the team a huge boost without having to unload prospect or a whole lot of cash.

I love this deal and I love Jack Z.