Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aroldis Chapman agrees to $30M deal with the Reds

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Aroldis Chapman agrees to $30M deal with the Reds

I am still on an all-time giddiness right now. This came so unexpected. We Reds fans merely brushed the thought off. We joked that the team wasted travel expenses to send the scout to watch him. Jocketty truly knows how to stay low key.

I just watched the presser and it was very interesting. The one thing I fear the most is the talk about his possibly having a bad attitude. It didn't come off during the press conference, he simply seemed overjoyed about all of it. But as was mentioned before; this kid will be experiencing America for what it is and will have many temptations to surpass.

I hope they have some kind of mentor for him to help get him acclamated to every day life in a much more forgiving country. Then again, you look at his tenure since he deported and you see no stories mentioning misbehavior of any kind. Yes, plenty of teams were catering for him and his agent likely helped with the transitional period, so hopefully he is well on his way.

In retrospect, I am going to be excited about this kid and am more than willing to wait a few years for his domination to hit the big time. I think Jocketty will be patient. I just hope B Cast can be. If we are in a position where the team needs a spark and the seats are empty at GABP, Bob may see Chapman as a business commodity rather than a wait and watch magic happen project. I only see this scenario happening if B Cast proves to be as impatient as he has suggested he can be at times.

Chapman has never faced serious competition outside of the WBC. And he didn't put up very good numbers then. He is raw, young, and just needs time and a dash of Mario Soto to make things happen.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

His contract plays out as outlined by the Associated Press:

The Associated Press is reporting the details of the Aroldis Chapman’s contract. It’s complicated:
    –Chapman gets $1.5 million of his signing bonus when his contract is approved by Major League Baseball, $1.5 million each Nov. 1 from 2010 to 2013 and $1.25 million each Nov. 1 from 2014 to 2020.
    –Chapman gets annual salaries of $1 million this year and next, $2 million each in 2012 and 2013 and $3 million in 2014. Within five days of the 2014 World Series, he must decide whether to exercise a $5 million player option for 2015.
    –If Chapman is eligible for salary arbitration after the 2012 season, he would get $5 million converted to a bonus and become eligible for arbitration.
    –If he is arbitration eligible after the 2013 season, he would get $3 million converted to a bonus and then be eligible for arbitration.
    So essentially he is much cheaper than most make it out to be. $2.5MM in 2010 and 2011, $3.5MM in 2012 and 2013, $4.25MM in 2014.

Unless he is arbitration eligible. Then from 2012 on, he can get much more expensive.

I don't see him taking the player option if he becomes the pitcher we want him to be. So, I think that Chapman will be a Red until 2014 at best.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I just finished watching the Cuba vs Australia start for Chapman on MLB.com a bit ago. Although it wasn't an extreme talent in Aussie bats, Chapman blew them away.

4 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 7 Ks, 2 BB
    His first three iniings went scoreless as he gave up one hit in 23 pitches. He just imploded a bit in the 4th. 28 pitches, walking batters, giving up a hard hit double to Luke Hughes, wild pitch, balk, and Aussie hitters just battling him at the plate fouling off pitch after pitch.
    He topped off at 102 MPH and mixed in a 77 MPH slider and an occasional changeup (threw it maybe three times).

Of course, this was a year ago, but he seemed to lack confidence in his changeup. His fastball was wild at times as he left it up in the zone anytime he let his fron foot plant too early leaving his throwing arm behind his body and causing his release point to be at a higher position. But the Aussie bats simply could not catch up to the heat.

He also had a wild pitch and a balk. Some baseball growth will help him, but overall he pitched real well in his first big stage game. Very impressive heat and honestly was more controlled than I expected.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Nice article on Chapman here from C Trent:

GOODYEAR, Ariz. - Aroldis Chapman is not unlike many of his Cincinnati Reds teammates, he has an iPhone, wears two gold necklaces, a gold bracelet and designer jeans.
    None of that stands out in a Major League clubhouse - not having those things would be more of a statement. But the former member of the Cuban national team and Reds rookie is different than his teammates. He left behind his family and country for the riches of big league baseball, signing a six-year deal worth $30.25 million with the Reds last month.
    "It was very difficult, I left my parents, wife and daughter behind," Chapman said through interpreter Tony Fossas at a press conference Monday. "I left all my friends, my teammates. It was a very hard decision, but in Cuba they told me I had to be brave and make the move."
    The Reds -- which once changed its name to the Redlegs to avoid any connotations of communism -- took a gamble by signing the left-hander who will celebrate his 22nd birthday on Sunday.

"We look at it as an investment, not only in the present, but also in the future and it should be a strong indication that the Cincinnati Reds and the support of ownership that we're very serious about building a strong, winning organization for us," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "It was a big investment, but I think it will pay dividends down the road for us, and maybe sooner, rather than later."
    Chapman pitched for the Cuban team in the World Baseball Classic and is considered one of the games top prospects as soon as he decided to leave the team at a tournament in the Netherlands in July. Boasting a fastball that has been measured as fast as 102 mph, Chapman has been compared to a young Randy Johnson.
    Cameras have followed Chapman throughout the Reds' training camp, with video cameras focused on every bullpen session, including on Monday when media members came to Goodyear for his press conference, held at the complex along with Jocketty, Fossas, Reds manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Bryan Price.
    Price said he's been impressed with what he's seen so far from Chapman. The two worked together in Arizona after Chapman signed and Chapman's thrown four bullpen sessions so far in Goodyear.
    Despite the hype surrounding Chapman, the Reds brass says its keeping an open mind about how to handle their new prized pitcher.
    "We really don't have a timetable, and I don't think it's good to have a timetable. I think we'll find out as we go along. Dusty, Bryan and I have talked about this, we're just going to let him develop," Jocketty said. "You don't really know what he's capable of yet. You watch him on the mound and you can see the ability, but we don't know until he gets into a game and faces hitters if he's ready now or it's going to take some time. Obviously, the sooner he gets to Cincinnati, the better it is for us, but we're not going to rush him. We're going to handle it the right way and he's ready when he gets to Cincinnati and he's ready to help us long-term."
    Baker said he's not planning on holding Chapman back. He'll compete for the team's open fifth starter spot in the rotation.
    "If you're better than him, he's going to pitch," Baker said. "If you're not better than him, he's going to pitch."
    Both catchers Chapman has worked with this spring, Ramon Hernandez and Corky Miller, have been impressed with his command and his pitches. Hernandez, the team's starting catcher, said he'd use his veteran status to avoid taking live batting practice when Chapman is unleashed on the Reds position players on Wednesday.
    In all, the Reds have liked what they've seen and heard from Chapman on the mound. He's a quick learner, they say, and displayed the fastball that got him the big contract.
    "I think baseball's the least of our concerns, I think. You put yourself in his situation, in a new country without your support system, without your mom and your dad and a new culture, new language, new food, new music, new everything. These are the first things we're going to have to get him to adjust to and keep him happy."
    So far, Chapman says his happiest times have been with his teammates. The Reds have a sizable Latin contingent, including Hernandez, a native of Venezuela, whose locker is next to Chapman's in the clubhouse. Baker speaks Spanish, and Fossas, the pitching coach at Class A Dayton, was born in Cuba. The Reds top pick in the 2008 draft, first baseman Yonder Alonso, lived in Cuba until he was 10.
    "I enjoy being with baseball players and at the field," Chapman said. "I like the people I've talked to and getting to know. Once I learn English, I'll be able to get to know my American teammates better."
    The language barrier has been one of the toughest things about his transition, he said. Even Monday, he sat and had to listen to Jocketty, Baker and Price answer questions for 20 minutes without understanding the questions or answers, but knowing they were about him. The toughest thing, though, Chapman said about living in the United States so far -- the food.
    The baseball will be different, too.
    "I have to be in more control," Chapman said through Fossas. "Cuban baseball is a lot more aggressive -- there's a lot more bunting, hitting and running -- here I've seen it's more station-to-station with an emphasis on power hitting."
    Chapman was asked about any particular big league batters he was anxious to face or pitchers he looked up to, and didn't know any. He didn't see Major League Baseball in Cuba.
    When Chapman gets to the big leagues, Baker said he's not worried about Chapman being intimidated by the likes of Albert Pujols or Ryan Howard.
    "He's not scared," Baker said. "If you come from Cuba and come through what he's come through, fear is the last thing on his mind."
    I am really looking forward to seeing him pitch to the Reds hitters this Wednesday. Hopefully there will be some video up. This will help the club understand where he is at from a true pitching standpoint. Hopefully they put some competition in the box against him. And on the other side, I hope a lot of the young bats step up and want to take on the challenge full force. Should be interesting...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234