Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aroldis Chapman agrees to $30M deal with the Reds

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Aroldis Chapman agrees to $30M deal with the Reds

Well, it depends. Chapman signing is a move that says more about the Reds and Jocketty believing in the team competing two or three years from now then right now. Then again, his contract is significant and Reds fans are showing up in dwindling numbers year after losing year.

Perhaps the Reds will make a move for a SS through free agency?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Also, Chapman really didn't cost the Reds much at all. I am reading that he will only make $1 million this year. So, there still could be money to keep the rotation in tact.
    Good point redsr.

I was trying to follow this while out today and once I learned the Reds did sign him, my phone finally ran out of juice so it was a race back home. LOL

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Congrats to you guys. I don't like wild lefties, but there isn't one in that category who can throw in the upper 90's. He has the stuff to punch out Albert Pujols perhaps soon.

God, it seems every other team is having a good offseason. Meanwhile, I gotta watch my team go to battle with mother****ing piece of shit asshole douchebags Russ Ortiz, Charlie Haeger, Josh Towers, and Luis Ayala.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Perhaps the Harang rumors come back up with the Dodgers?

I doubt they spend anymore money on free agency even if Chapman will only cost 1 mil this year. I still think they are tight and that Jocketty just made a great signing. Lately, Jocketty has been on a phenominal communication level with agents and players. He has been able to make sensse with money and player's salaries that many GMs are unable to do. Namely changing Rolen's deal and this Chapman signing both could be looked at as amazing moves. But I still think they are limited on funds.

I just really hope they don't get over confident in this signing and deal Arroyo or Harang and get a SS with the money saved.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Buster Olney reports that the A's finished second in the bid for Chapman. good to see two small market teams battle it out to the end for once.

And sorry Provi, trust me Reds fans know far too well how it is on the losing side of bidding wars.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Well, the A's beat the Reds on Ynoa so we'll see who ends up better. Chapman has a head start, but time will tell.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds like a deal man! I am excited about how these small markets are picking up the national players.

I bet there will be something included into the draft in the future where these players will be eligible.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Presser is at noon EST tomorrow from GABP.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Baseball America says Chapman is now the Reds' top spect. I would think so!

Really love the depth this gives us.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Congrats to you guys. I don't like wild lefties, but there isn't one in that category who can throw in the upper 90's. He has the stuff to punch out Albert Pujols perhaps soon.

God, it seems every other team is having a good offseason. Meanwhile, I gotta watch my team go to battle with mother****ing piece of shit asshole douchebags Russ Ortiz, Charlie Haeger, Josh Towers, and Luis Ayala.
    And Jason Repko
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    He's a wild young lefty. It will take a few years until he's ready. Give it time, and hope Dusty is gone if the kid gets to the Show.
    Agreed. Dusty would destroy this kid.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    At least you don't have the Cards and Reds in your division, with each team making a splash within a week.

Do pray Dusty will be gone by the time he comes up.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Pretty much. Patience is going to pay in a situation like this and hopefully the Reds are willing to treat him like a long term investment and not a signing that needs to impress the peanut gallery ASAP.
    I think the 1 mil hit this year helps to support the idea that management knows he wont be making an immediate impact. I would hope so at least.

The Reds have really been making a huge splash in the international market. Hopefully these guys like Chapman and Rodriguez can reach their potential and help us solidify a pipeline to the talent in the area, not to mention win baseball games.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

2011 should be fun if this kid turns out to be the real deal and Volquez comes back healthy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It'll be fun to see him and Strasburg one day face off.

Anyway, there were some interesting comments at the presser today. Namely Chapman's agent mentioned that his manager (Baker), pitching coach (Price), and catcher (Hernandez) all speak Spanish, as well as 10 of the 40 man roster. I have to think guys like Cueto, Volquez, Cordero, and pitching instructor Mario Soto help too. All of which hopefully eases his transition into the bigs.

The one thing I do have to say is that the Reds ownership is showing commitment to bringing a winner to Cincy. Yes, he is a gamble, but I'd rather take this gamble than the 27 million given to Eric Milton over three years. Or (despite how awesome he is) the giant contract given to Francisco Cordero for what has been a sub-.500 team (a team which didn't need an ASG closer... but that could change.)

It'll be fun to follow his development this year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast