Thread: Boston signs Adrian Beltre

Red Sox Boston signs Adrian Beltre

as per several reports on MLBTR...

1 year - $9M with $5M player option.

Seems to be a bit of a sweetheart deal for the Sox, but they will have to eat pretty much all of Lowell's contract to trade him now (if that's possible). I am pretty amazed Beltre can still get a deal approaching $10M a year after how dissapointing his tenure with the M's has been. I guess people are still waiting on his potential.

As a Jays fan, I'm glad the BJ's aren't competing this year, Boston and New York seem to be getting in an arms race. A year or two down the road when all these contracts are weighing down the Yanks and BoSox, the AL East will be more competetive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boston signs Adrian Beltre-imgnews-8-jpg  
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 01-11-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Boston signs Adrian Beltra

Quote Originally Posted by Impossibles View Post
    As a Jays fan, I'm glad the BJ's aren't competing this year, Boston and New York seem to be getting in an arms race. A year or two down the road when all these contracts are weighing down the Yanks and BoSox, the AL East will be more competetive.
    I second this notion.
    And with the potential talent that has been picked up recently the Jay's could be a very interesting team this season.

As for the deal at hand. I guess this spells the end of Mike Lowell. Anyone want him? I am guessing the Sox are gonna have to eat almost all of the contract that he has left. Good deal for someone that needs him, or whatever is left of him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Boston signs Adrian Beltre

Speaking of the Jays...would you guys want Lowell? I like this on a defensive standpoint for sure. Loweel is great with the glove, and so is Beltre. They lose no talent on that end here. Boston is looking rather solid right now.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I actually really like this deal for the Red Sox. Beltre is still a great defensive 3B and if healthy, he obviously is capable of hitting his usual 25 or so homers (and not the 8 we saw last season.) Going to Fenway, again if healthy, could really turn out to be an impact move.

Has he played any winter ball or anything that might indicate where he is at right now health wise?

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Speaking of the Jays...would you guys want Lowell? I like this on a defensive standpoint for sure. Loweel is great with the glove, and so is Beltre. They lose no talent on that end here. Boston is looking rather solid right now.
    If EE's face isn't destroyed, I can see that happening. But it's hard to tell, since picking up a veteran isn't the same MO as what Alex the Greek has been up to.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'm surprised that he turned down a 3-year and a 4-year deal to play for the Red Sux. If he gets hurt and misses a large portion of the season, then he'll hurt his payday that he's hoping to get after the season.