Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillies sign IF Placido Polanco to a 3 Year Deal

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Phillies Phillies sign IF Placido Polanco to a 3 Year Deal

At 34, that year deal seems a bit intense... especially for a player that is switching positions to one he hasn't played regularly in years and who has had two straight seasons of decline from his career year of 2007. The Phillies sure like to add age to their roster though, first the 37 year old Castro and now the 34 year old Polanco.

PHILADELPHIA — Placido Polanco is putting aside his Gold Glove and switching positions to have a chance at winning a championship.

Polanco returned to the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday, agreeing to an $18 million, three-year contract.

The 34-year-old free agent won Gold Gloves at second base for the Detroit Tigers in 2007 and this year, but will shift to third base, which hasn't been his primary position since 2002. He replaces Pedro Feliz, who became a free agent after the Phillies declined his $5.5 million option.

"I always wanted to be here, I never wanted to leave," Polanco said. "One of the reasons I wanted to come back is because it's pretty obvious the team is committed to winning. And I want to win. That's it. They asked me if I was willing to play another position and I was like, 'Sure.' I can play third base. I played in college, in St. Louis and I also played some third here. I feel pretty confident about it."

Polanco first joined the Phillies in the trade that sent Scott Rolen to St. Louis in July 2002. He hit .297 with 38 homers and 160 RBIs in parts of four seasons in Philadelphia. Once Chase Utley become the regular second baseman, Polanco's role was reduced. He was traded to Detroit in June 2005 for reliever Ugueth Urbina and infielder Ramon Martinez.

Polanco batted .285 for the Tigers last season with 31 doubles, 10 homers and 72 RBIs. He hit .341 and made the All-Star team in 2007.

"For him to come back to Philadelphia to change positions, it's just one of the things he's about," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "He's not only a tremendous professional and a championship-type player, but he's a championship-type person, and that's what we're trying to do here, bring championship-type people, both talent-wise and personnel-wise."

Polanco gets a $500,00 signing bonus, $5 million next season, $5.25 million in 2011 and $6.25 million in 2012. The deal includes a $5.5 million mutual option for 2013 with a $1 million buyout.

"The Phillies were always my first choice," he said. "I played here, I know most of the guys here, I know the city. And they have a pretty good team that's committed to win. I thank all of the other teams that expressed interest in me, but the Phillies were always my first choice."

Polanco is a .303 hitter with 90 homers, 579 RBIs and 71 stolen bases in 12 seasons.

He joins a potent lineup that features five All-Stars — Utley, Shane Victorino, Ryan Howard, Jayson Werth and Raul Ibanez — and former MVP Jimmy Rollins. He's an ideal No. 2 hitter, but that's been Victorino's spot in the order.

"I want to win and you look around and we have a lot of great players," Polanco said. "It seems like you could flip this lineup around and it would still be good, you know? Whatever Charlie wants me to do, I'd be more than happy to do it. I just know everyone here plays to win. Chase, Victorino, Rollins, Howard, everybody."

The NL champions also agreed to a $750,000, one-year contract with infielder Juan Castro, who hit .277 with one home run and nine RBIs in 57 games for the Los Angeles Dodgers last season.

The 37-year-old Castro replaces utilityman Eric Bruntlett, who became a free agent. Castro made 19 starts at shortstop, eight at second base and two at third base, while also appearing in left field for two games.

Castro's contract includes a $700,000 salary next year, and the deal has a $750,000 club option for 2011 with a $50,000 buyout.

"In Juan Castro, we have a versatile guy who can play multiple positions and is coming off a year in which he swung the bat fairly well," Amaro said. "We're very happy to add him to our club, as he will give Charlie options."
    The Associated Press: Polanco, Phillies agree to $18M, 3-yr contract

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Phillies sign IF Placido Polanco to a 3 Year Deal

They signed Brian Schneider too. Pretty sure they're worse than they were last year. Wasn't it just as effective to keep Feliz and Bako, and probably cheaper? At least Feliz plays defense at third.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Polanco was considered by some statheads as a good value signing. This signing isn't for value, though. Seems like they paid full price and then some.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Perhaps the move to Philly will help with some of his numbers, but his increasing strikeout rate and decreasing walk rate over the past two seasons is not looking good. Granted they are not huge dips, but a trend is a trend. The Phillies obviously have a good team though and I'd be the first to admit that I was dead wrong on the Ibanez deal, at least for 2009, so I'm willing to see how it plays out. Polanco will bring talent to this team, whether the contract is justified is a different story.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ibanez had power going in, though. Polanco doesn't and won't be able to take advantage of the putt putt golf course of a park they play in.
    Ted

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Phillies are late to Polanco's prime. If they hadn't traded him for Ugueth Urbina, acquiring Polanco for Scott Rolen would have gone down as one of the better trades in their history.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Ibanez had power going in, though. Polanco doesn't and won't be able to take advantage of the putt putt golf course of a park they play in.
    No, I was just speaking in terms of familiarity with the city, some of the staff who remains, etc. Not that his power game will significantly increase, although it likely will to a degree.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I doubt it will even increase, I would venture to bet his stats will be worse than Feliz's if Polanco plays a full season or close to it. And I won't be shocked if he has defensive issues, leading to deadline chatter for guy x. Sure he could surprise, but at least with Ibanez, something was there in previous years that would have led you to believe he'd take advantage of that park and lineup.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wait, is that an Eclipse bet there? I'll take Feliz 2009 vs. your Polanco 2010 (if he plays enough)? O_O
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Not talking fielding ability, as we can't compare the two, Polanco had the better year with the bat in 2009 over Feliz as it was. Feliz slugged at a higher clip, but got on base less either via the walk or a hit than Polanco.

But this isn't a sexy enough bet for one of us to go see Eclipse over.

Decent pick up for the Phillies, not sure about the contract (a bit too long and expensive). Similar stats with Feliz, but the average is higher. Being in the lineup with 5 all stars could really help him.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Not talking fielding ability, as we can't compare the two, Polanco had the better year with the bat in 2009 over Feliz as it was. Feliz slugged at a higher clip, but got on base less either via the walk or a hit than Polanco.

But this isn't a sexy enough bet for one of us to go see Eclipse over.
    I think ultimately we have to go with a baseball bet.
    Ted

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That contract is ridiculous. 3 years, with options and the what not, and the high amount of dollars being paid.

At least the buy out is cheaper than the contract yer. lol

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I still think even though Polanco has been on a recent decline and that it may be due to his age; he is still an underrated player. He was one of the best offensive 2B for years. Yet his name was rarely mentioned.

I think this move does give the Phillies even greater offense than it already has. Could they have done better? Perhaps. But I still can't knock the signing.

Well, the contract on the other hand...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Apparently Hudson was offered the gig first. But he turned it down...

The Phils apparently asked eight-year veteran second baseman Orlando Hudson if he would have any interest in moving over to third base, according to FOXSports. Hudson, a stellar defenseman, declined and Polanco got the next call.
    At least that's what yahoo sports say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast