Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to Cincinnati

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Scott Rolen traded to Cincinnati

I just don't get what they're trying to do. why do they want/need Scott Rolen?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I just don't get what they're trying to do. why do they want/need Scott Rolen?
    What Reds Fans are coming up with (yes many are as confused):
    1) PR, Rolen's a big name keep getting butts in the seats.
    2) Cast is more worried about his friends than the club.
    3) They wanted to upgrade defense at "any price"
    4) Our Scouts are as dumb as ever.
    5) Walt wants to make sure theres no money for "hard decision" this winter when it comes to FA.

FYI #4 and 5 are tounge in check.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sorry Slyder, I think you are totally off, although "dumb" is a factor in almost every Reds move.

I think this a commentary on the Reds leadership or lack thereof within the clubhouse. Brandon Phillips, at least according to the media, is a leader and given his recent lack of effort on plays, again, and Dusty public chewing him out I think this is an attack on players like him and others. Jocketty obviously became a fan of Rolen while he was the GM of the Cardinals and even though Rolen had some problems in that clubhouse, I truly believe that is why he was acquired, or a major reason.

Plus Rolen has won a World Series so will hear our favorite term in Cincinnati "He knows how to win."

MLB ERA

Reds Re: Scott Rolen traded to Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Sorry Slyder, I think you are totally off, although "dumb" is a factor in almost every Reds move.

I think this a commentary on the Reds leadership or lack thereof within the clubhouse. Brandon Phillips, at least according to the media, is a leader and given his recent lack of effort on plays, again, and Dusty public chewing him out I think this is an attack on players like him and others. Jocketty obviously became a fan of Rolen while he was the GM of the Cardinals and even though Rolen had some problems in that clubhouse, I truly believe that is why he was acquired, or a major reason.

Plus Rolen has won a World Series so will hear our favorite term in Cincinnati "He knows how to win."
    Its great that Rolen won a world series, but Trent Dilfer won a super bowl you didnt see teams busting down the door to put him front and center at that point in his career. Rolen was a special player, keyword in that statement was. He is a good player but he's not got a lot of time left due to his back.

Then step 1 FIRE DUHHHSTY and his entire coaching staff and hire someone who backs up what he says with action and brings a vision. Step 2 give him free reign, no one gets a pass for anything. Brandon Phillips was NEVER the leader. A leader doesnt have to announce it to everyone. Phillips talked the talked but failed horribly at walking the walk. Votto is the heart of this team.

We should have been negotiating from a position of strength. Rolen wanted out, is a local guy that wanted to come home, Toronto was hoping to move some payroll, and Rolen is "old". That should have been a recipe for the Reds to get him for relatively little. Now theyve traded what starting pitching depth we had for a guy who maybe lucky to have 5 years left (much less if his back goes out for good). There is no amount of leadership that can make up for talent. Rolen's 34 and his back is going on 44.

The other end of this. This is the same front office that had Walt say that LF is our "main target" for the offseason and then cry small market after wasting resources on little wanted Willy Tavares and Ramon Hernandez (who the Orioles replaced later in Rule 5 draft). Now theyve just replaced in 10 Ramon Hernandez with Scott Rolen. There is something like 66 mil tied up in LTC next year unless theres a huge influx of new money this team is going to be almost identically BAD.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The he knows how to win comment was made in jest. It is said over and over again on local radio and in the papers.

Votto is too quiet to be considered the leader, the media will turn on him if the Reds continue to lose the next few years. And what the media considers the leader, ie who gives them soundbites, will be what most fans will consider the leader (thus why Brandon Phillips is considered the leader.)

The scary thing is not this deal, but it is that I bet it will be very likely that the Reds will resign him to a contract extension next year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I honestly just read this:

"Ownership was definitely on board with this one," said Jocketty, who added he hoped to retain Rolen when his contract is up after the 2010 season.

MLB ERA

I want to know numbers in advance before I drive up to cincy with a msg to deliver. They SERIOUSLY cannot be thinking of giving Rolen anything CLOSE to what he's making now can they? And we couldnt afford Dunn... Gah I wish it were easier to follow another team the Reds mindset makes my head hurt.

Lets see
    Cards: Respect Pujols but no
    Cubs: Hahahaha dont want to say more cause it might get me in trouble.
    Braves: HAHAHAHAHAHA thats even funnier.
    Mets: Meh, could be an interesting story to follow with their 1000000 injuries at once.
    Fla: Too cheap of an owner, any player you follow gets traded within 5 years.
    Philly: Meh na.
    Dodgers: ... I just.... cant do it...
    Yanks or Red Sox: Theyre whats wrong with baseball right now right there next to Pittsburgh.
    Tampa: As long as its not Boston or NY in the playoffs Im happy.
    AL Central: Dont get many games from there here. Great Race though.
    AL West: Even fewer games.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA

Edwin wore out his welcome (no defense and streaky offense, too), Roenicke is easily replaced with our bullpen depth and Stewart is just another Reds minor league pitcher. The success rate of those, eh, not so good.

Rolen should still have several years left in him and brings great defense, solid offense and a needed leader to the clubhouse.

Excellent trade.

P.S... unlikely Walt stops here before the next deadline this month and in the off-season. He knows the team still needs a QUALITY upgrade at SS, somewhere in the outfield and probably another starting pitcher.

Hopefully Castellini allows him the wiggle room needed.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

What do you mean by not so good success rate?

Stewart blew away the competition this year, posting an ERA barely over 2 in A, less than 2 in AA, and less than 1 in AAA. He also started 14 games, so he isn't limited to the bullpen and I heard they only moved him back into a relief role in Louisville not to push him to far in his first full season. Seems like wayyyy to much.

I do like the acquisition of Rolen though. I just hope they are right with the evaluation he can last a decent amount of time here, which is tough to do considering his injury history. His contract shouldn't be an issue in the future, hearing that he wanted to come year I can't see him asking for to much money.

On another note, if Management sees Rolen here for a large amount of time what does that say of their evaluation on Frazier? He has been bouncing around positions, but I don't see anywhere for him to play currently.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

To clarify here, I meant the success rate of Stewart not in terms of his minor league numbers but the ultimate success ratio for pitchers who come out of the Reds minor league system in general.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12