Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Peavy To The White Sox?

MLB ERA

Re: Peavy To The White Sox?

Just guarantee the option year and get this trade through. Stupid cheapskate Reinsdorf.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
    Just guarantee the option year and get this trade through. Stupid cheapskate Reinsdorf.
    the option wasnt a factor. The AL is not really in his interest except for maybe a team or two. That has been known for a long time. not sure why you are referring to a cheapskate, not to mention right now the white sox arent playing as well as the padres.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    the option wasnt a factor. The AL is not really in his interest except for maybe a team or two. That has been known for a long time. not sure why you are referring to a cheapskate, not to mention right now the white sox arent playing as well as the padres.
    So then why didn't he shut the door completely on it? He said he wasn't interested at this point, but may consider it in the future. That screams of someone trying to get their option year guaranteed, and there were numerous reports from the Chicago media that that was the reason it didn't get done. The package the White Sox offered is obviously the best package the Padres have received to date, as it's the only one they've accepted, and since I really think Peavy is looking to get that option year guaranteed to move anywhere that isn't LA (and the chances of that are roughly on par with a snowball's chance of surviving in hell), I doubt they'll get a better package elsewhere. That's why I think if the Sox would just guarantee the option year, they'd have a much stronger rotation, which is why I'll reiterate: stupid cheapskate Reinsdorf.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA

It could simply be PR.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    It could simply be PR.
    It is, because Reinsdorf is a cheapskate who won't take a chance on the 2nd best pitcher in baseball since 2005 by simply guaranteeing the option year.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA

what I meant was, saying he may consider it in the future could simply be PR.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

So then why didn't he shut the door completely on it? He said he wasn't interested at this point, but may consider it in the future. That screams of someone trying to get their option year guaranteed, and there were numerous reports from the Chicago media that that was the reason it didn't get done. The package the White Sox offered is obviously the best package the Padres have received to date, as it's the only one they've accepted, and since I really think Peavy is looking to get that option year guaranteed to move anywhere that isn't LA (and the chances of that are roughly on par with a snowball's chance of surviving in hell), I doubt they'll get a better package elsewhere. That's why I think if the Sox would just guarantee the option year, they'd have a much stronger rotation, which is why I'll reiterate: stupid cheapskate Reinsdorf.
    i completely disagree. Peavy wants to be in the NL first. If it was a one year thing, maybe. But this is for a minimum 3 year hitch, so unless he feels for damned sure he isnt going to go from one losing team to another, then hes not going to go. Thats what a NTC is for, after all.

and the chicago media? seriously? most of them cant write their ways out of a paper bag, and most of the national media knew there that the option was a nonfactor.

This has very little to do with white sox management and much about peavy's desire to stay in the NL.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Let's be honest about this though. Peavy's not moving unless that $22 million option is picked up. He has all the cards stacked in his favor. I'm not saying that is why he didn;t accept the trade to the White Sox but that will be the reason he accepts a trade to any team.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    what I meant was, saying he may consider it in the future could simply be PR.
    How would that help his PR in SD?

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    i completely disagree. Peavy wants to be in the NL first. If it was a one year thing, maybe. But this is for a minimum 3 year hitch, so unless he feels for damned sure he isnt going to go from one losing team to another, then hes not going to go. Thats what a NTC is for, after all.

and the chicago media? seriously? most of them cant write their ways out of a paper bag, and most of the national media knew there that the option was a nonfactor.

This has very little to do with white sox management and much about peavy's desire to stay in the NL.
    Then why did he at any point consider it? Why didn't he just immediately tell the Padres he wasn't going when they came to him with the deal? That seems like the logical thing to do if staying in the NL was that important to him, but what he did was seriously consider the trade, talk about it with an ex-teammate and his family, and decided against it for now, not completely, just for now. Sounds like Peavy wanted his option year guaranteed, didn't get it since Reinsdorf is a cheapskate (he would've lost the face of the franchise if it weren't for the fact that he knew the fans would revolt if he let him go), and decided to wait it out in the hopes that either the Sox would guarantee the option or another team would come along with a package and do the same. That said, I doubt the latter happens, since it would have in the offseason if it was going to, and the former isn't very likely to happen, because Reinsdorf is so damn cheap, so we may see how desperate Peavy is to get out of SD soon.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA

How would that help his PR in SD?
    PR in Chicago.

Perhaps he was just being cordial and not essentially telling the White Sox he wants no part of their organization.

I'm not saying this is the case, though. I'm simply presenting a plausible possibility, which removes your conclusion that the deal would go down as long as the White Sox owner gives him his option year.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345