Thread: Gammon's List Of Available Players

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rumor Gammon's List Of Available Players

• Some of the players being dangled because of roster space and economics: Geoff Jenkins, Phillies; Brian Giles, Padres; Gary Matthews Jr., Angels; Marcus Thames, Tigers; Nick Johnson, Nationals; Jason Repko, Dodgers; Jeff Baker, Rockies.

• Mark Teahen has made some progress in his second-base experiment, and the Royals have held on to him despite interest from several teams, including the Astros, Red Sox and Yankees.

• The Reds have let teams know that they will wait and see whether they need to move Aaron Harang during the season. Harang is scheduled to make $12.5 million next season and $12.75 million with a $2 million buyout for 2011. After going 34-23 with a 3.68 ERA from the start of the 2006 season until he made his four-inning relief stint on two days' rest on May 15, 2008, he went 4-11, 5.88. "Aaron's been OK this spring, because he battles so hard," one scout said. "But the life on the ball he runs in on left-handed batters isn't the same."

• Angels manager Mike Scioscia says Matthews "isn't comfortable" with his role as a fourth outfielder, but despite rumors that the Angels may try to work something out with the Yankees, the contract will be difficult to move.

• One reason for Billy Hall's expected resurgence is the laser surgery he had in the offseason. "It makes all the difference," Hall says. "I can see again." Hall believes the Brewers will be in on Jake Peavy, when and if he goes on the market.
    Astros need to look at Teahen and Baker.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Gammon's List Of Available Players

The Yankees might look to add Gary "Bloated Contract" Matthews? I thought they were pretty stacked with depth there. Hmm. BTW, how has Swisher hit this spring? I know there were talks of possibly moving him (or Nady.)

As for Harang, I really don't see him being moved unless he returns as more like the 2008 Harang and not the 2005-2007 Harang. I think the Reds would rather move Arroyo should the opportunity arise, like if Owings and Bailey both prove to be MLB caliber SP's. Of course if the Reds fall out of it, I could see both being shopped as there is still some talent down in the upper level of the farm and Jocketty might want to free up some cash for next offseason. The economic hit affected his offseason quite a bit as he was humming along until season ticket sales were way down and the speculation and rumors went from the Reds trying to trade for Dye if cash was included, considering signing Burrell, and then considering Abreu. The Reds need for a big bat continually got cheaper until they eventually said they were happy with signing Gomes to a minimum contract and they would let him and Dickerson play it out. Phillips is set to make a lot more next season as will Cordero (both who could be shopped, Phillip less likely) so it would make sense if he tries to free up some cash to play with next season.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't see Harang being moved period. I'd be very leery of a team that needs pitching giving up one of their starters. that should tell you something right there.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Reds have a lot depth, or a lot more than they did three seasons ago. Aaron Harang, Edison Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, Micah Owings, Homer Bailey, Darryl Thompson, Ramon Ramirez, etc. Now of course some of those guys are question marks, but the Reds have a lot more depth than the average team in the pitching department. We're they are now deplete of are good hitters (Jaque Jones getting an audition should be a clue to that.)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I would think a guy like Teahen would be fairly easy to lure away from the Royals. They don't seem to like to keep players around if they get too good.
    In Dayton Moore We Trust!

Custom Promotional Products

MLB ERA

Right now, the Royals need to keep Teahen. Someone needs to play 3B until Gordon comes back.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I also think one of the Twins' outfielders would be available for the right sort of deal. They have 5 guys that could play regularly and only 4 spots for them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jason Repko life long Dodger FTMFW!