Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedro Wants $5.5 Million Minimum

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Free Agent Pedro Wants $5.5 Million Minimum

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that Pedro Martinez is seeking a "$5.5 million base salary with $5 million in incentives."
    That seems like a crazy number in this economy, but it's not far off what the Red Sox gave to John Smoltz, who is 41 and coming off shoulder surgery. Martinez made 20 starts last season compared to Smoltz's five. Rosenthal, however, believes the Dodgers might be the only club willing to risk $5.5 million on Pedro.
    I don't think even the Dodgers are willing to go that high with Pedro. Pedro did have a good start to his WBC season but he will have to keep it up to get a contract like that. The Mets have already said no to a Pedro return and the Orioles have given mixed messages to their interest. If Pedro continues to do well this WBC, he will find a job but I can't see anyone giving him that high of a contract. I would love for a team like the Royals or Tigers take a chance on him since they need a big name and a pitcher.

MLB ERA

Re: Pedro Wants $5.5 Million Minimum

Something tells me he'd take 3 mil + incentives to make up to 8 mil but thats just me
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd really like for the Reds to take a gamble on Pedro. They don't have room in their budget to, but it is a team where Pedro might make most sense. Arroyo is there and Pedro is a member of Arroyo's party boat, so that's a plus. And there are two young pitchers, Volquez and Cueto, whose idol is Pedro Martinez.

That said, his expectations for a salary is just unreasonable. I was thinking the exact same figure as cj, lower base salary but many incentives.

Where would you put Pedro?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Pedro would be best served in the AL right now not having to bat. And yes, his price will definitely have to come down.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd put him in the 5th spot, let Owings be the long man in the pen and tell Bailey to refine his stuff in AAA until June/July. If Pedro busts, we would still have depth to replace him with. If he doesn't, then we would have some trade bait to use for whatever pieces we are missing. Of course this is all going on the assumption that Pedro has looked as good as I have seen him in very limited clips/highlights and its not just smoke and mirrors (weak competition. generous strikezone, etc.)

The main benefit though would be to mentor Cueto and Volquez though. Both idolize him and he could really help both reach that next level IMO.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rosenthal, however, believes the Dodgers might be the only club willing to risk $5.5 million on Pedro.
    Not going to happen. They weren't willing to risk that amount on a rehabbing Brad Penny.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree mofo.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And a team like the Royals don't deserve to have Pedro Martinez on their team, even at an affordable price tag. They'll just view him as a piece of meat to be sold for minor leaguers at the trade deadline if he does well.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So what? Small market teams should be able to do that but the thing is the Royls need a guy like Pedro. Rise interest, make some money and if things go well, a .500 record. The Royals are a lot better this year and could make some serious noise in the weak AL Central. Pedro could help and if not, sell him to a contender. Nothing wrong with that at all.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

On one hand you say he'll give the Royals a big boost in the rotation and help them contend in their division (good ****ing luck with that), and on the other hand you argued months ago that he would do nothing for the present for the Dodgers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Two totally different situations. I also said Pedro will have to do lot more than he has in the WBC to get a job. The Royals will contend or at least be close to a .500 team with or without Pedro.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Seattle should call up Pedro right now.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick, the Dodgers are considering adding free agent Pedro Martinez.
    "He's someone we're curious about,'' GM Ned Colletti said Thursday. The Dodgers already boast Chad Billingsley, Hiroki Kuroda, Randy Wolf and Clayton Kershaw in the front end of their rotation, but are still seeking a fifth starter. Possible candidates Jason Schmidt, Eric Milton and Claudio Vargas have not impressed team officials this spring. "You never have too many guys until one guy jumps up,'' manager Joe Torre said. "Right now we haven't had that happen.''
    Uh oh! I still think Pedro is best served in the AL only having to worry about pitching but apparently he wants to stay in the NL (according to Steve Philips).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wonder if Eric Milton and Jason Schmidt ever hit the bar after the game and laugh about getting the contracts they got. Followed of course by them both doing simultaneous head-first dives into pools of money.

If guys like that are the Dodgers options, just sign Pedro and give him a chance. Do it now before you regret it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast