Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedro Wants $5.5 Million Minimum

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Pedro Wants $5.5 Million Minimum

If I ever saw Schmidt and Milton in a bar together, they would not be leaving until they both bought a round for the entire bar!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent 4 teams interested in Pedro Martinez

I was watching MLB Network this morning and saw that the Dodgers, Pirates, Indians and Mets are all interested in Pedro. The Pirates, predictably, are not interested in Pedro at his current demands (5.5-8 mil.)

I think the Dodgers are the favorite to land him. If Schmidt and Milton are in consideration for the fifth spot, they would be desperate and would also have the cash needed to sign him. Pedro goes to LA for a year, gets solid media attention and has the benefit of pitching in Dodger stadium and then can test FA waters again for a bigger deal assuming he is health and the economy picks back up.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 4 teams interested in Pedro Martinez

I would like to see the Indians get him. They need another starter and they play in the NL where Pedro can focus solely on pitching.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I would like to see the Indians get him. They need another starter and they play in the NL where Pedro can focus solely on pitching.
    I believe you mean to say AL here, but I see what you are saying and do not disagree. The Indians can always use more pitching, especially if Cliff Lee comes back to earth.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Thanks for the correction catman Yeah it looks like Adam Miller will never reach his potential because of injuries and outside of Lee the rotation needs help.

MLB ERA

Adam Miller might need a change of scenery and coaching to take the next step. Sowers showed some flashes last season and could use the work. Do Indians let him "take his lumps" at the major league level, learning to make adjustments or do they send him back to AAA where he really can't learn anything more?
    The Indians could add Pedro without making a roster move, however, so they have an advantage there.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Miller's problem is he can't stay healthy for any length of time so I can't see a change of scenery doing any good. It's always one thing or the next but he can't stay in the mound.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Miller hasn't even thrown 100 innings over the last two years. I really think if he gets over this finger injury that has set him back at least four or so times, that the Indians should try him in relief in AAA. Let him get opportunities to pitch, but limit the innings so he can build back up strength and durablity to hopefully prevent against future injuries when he would start again. I wonder how much these limited innings and numerous injuries have affected his velocity.

"It's kind of weird," Miller said Sunday. "I didn't think you could have this many issues with a finger."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports free agent Pedro Martinez "has fielded calls from several teams" since the start of the season.
    Martinez is reportedly still seeking at least $5 million. Writes Heyman: "The Dodgers (who placed Hiroki Kuroda on the disabled list) and Indians (who have experienced steep first-week pitching problems) would appear to be prime candidates to sign Martinez. Other possibilities include the Phillies, Brewers, Pirates, Diamondbacks and Mets."
    The Indians seem like the more desperate team and they could really use him at this point. The earlier he signs, the quicker he can start getting ready.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Stults pitches like garbage tonight, I expect the call to Pedro.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I still think the Dodgers are the best fit too. They are hungry to win, still have cash to spend, and of course a need to shore up a spot in their rotation. Plus, Dodger stadium is a great place for Pedro to come back and make his bottom line stats look a bit more impressive.

MLB ERA

I think pedro better sign before this turns into Manny Part II
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I still think an AL team best serves Pedro because he doesn't have to bat.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There's definitely risk involved, as his fastball now barely tops out at 90 mph, and his shoulder's condition is what we thought it would be 16 years ago. But aside from Greg Maddux, Pedro is just about the only pitcher capable of getting by with grit and knowledge.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I still think an AL team best serves Pedro because he doesn't have to bat.
    Unless he's involved in an unfinished Clemens/Piazza type beaning vendatta or he absolutely hates batting, it shouldn't be a deciding factor of where he goes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast