Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jeff Kent Retires

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jeff Kent Retires

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    So you can only have one future HoFer on each team?
    No. Obviously, one team can have many superstars, but not necessarily every team has a superstar.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    I CAN READ A TRAIN SCHEDULE!!!! I just can't make one on time and that's not cool, pulling that shit out on me although i laughed a little, not gonna lie that was one of the scariest moments in my life
    I totally won't let you live that down...

Unless you get it right this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    No. Obviously, one team can have many superstars, but not necessarily every team has a superstar.
    I hate people who ride coattails into the HOF...like Tony Perez or Johnny Evers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dry a few more points to hopefully shut you up:

- How many second baseman have Kent's numbers? That's the only question you should be asking! The answer is why Kent is a no doubter.

-Ozzie Smith was a great defender, not a great hitter. Kent is the exact opposite. Ozzie's glove was compared to that of other SS's who played in his era, not OFers, C's or even 2B's. Same reasoning and logic has to be applied to Kent. Kent's offense will be compared to that of other second basemen. Its not hard to figure out how HOF voting works but for some, obviously, it is.

-Six straight 100 RBI seasons. Not even Griffey has done that let alone any second baseman. And its his .300 lifetime batting average with RISP, not his team.

-Kent had a 162 game average of .290/.356/.500 with 27 HRs and 107 RBI with 173 hits, 39 being doubles. Find second basemen that did that.

-Its priceless that you get to pick and choose when to compare Kent to other second basemen. You only do it when it benefits your ridiculous claim. Yes Kent is the leader in Outs and second in Strikeouts as far as second baseman go. He is also in the top ten in a LOT of offensive categories. Babe Ruth lead in strikeouts and HRs when he retired. Reggie Jackson was terrible in the field and leads all of baseball in strikeouts but since his stats compare to other OFers, he is in. Enough said. You either compare Kent to second basemen the entire time or not at all. You cannot have it both ways. And yes Kent is top ten in almost every important offensive stat.

-I am the only one being objective! You keep ignoring all the stats I put up and then say I put up weak ones or that I only put up one stat. I clearly put up a lot of very, very imprtant stats but yet you want to concentrate on Outs and Strikeouts. Arod has more strikeouts than Kent and hasn;t played as many seasons. Does that mean he sucks? You don't want to put Kent in the category of second baseman even though he played his whole career there!! Thank god HOF voters aren't this dumb.

-I have had three people rep me thus far You'd be pussyhirt if you knew who they were

-I raised a lot more VALID points than you since I compared him to other second basemen. Kent is in the top ten in alomst every important offensive stat and its not debatable. Quit saying he only leads one category and nothing else. You are comparing him to everyone! You haven't come close to raising 100 points.

-Smart baseball men voted Rickey Henderson in the HOF unanimously so you point is beyond stupid. Please find and prove that there are HOF voters that agree with you. Back it up for once!! I know I sure as hell did.

- I'm a first rate piece of shit because I proved your ass wrong...again?Just because you don;t know what the **** you are talking about and pull shit out of your ass? You say I tore into Larry Walker and I didn't!! Same for Mussina!! You are making things up!! It shows what kind of person I am dealing with!

-The obvious stats show that he is a top 10 second baseman!!

-I ****ing love this one. This shows the kind fo stupidity I am dealing with!! This says it all about you, you ****ing child!!
    Grow up. Some things any idiot can infer, and some blind, ignorant homers don't want to believe the obvious truth about their heros.
    Did I not just say I thought Bonds did steroids? I know I did because you ****ing quoted me on it!! Then you go to say any idiot can infer something YOu got that right!! You are the idiot inferring that Kent was a steroid user with no backing whatsoever. Its not being a homer, its being objective and needing an ounce if proof to think otherwise. YOU CANNOT PROVIDE ANY!! sO SHUT THE **** UP!!

-Yes, fielding percentage is a weak stat to determine how good someone is defensively. He had a lot of errors too? Did you really just say that after saying his fielding percentage was bad? That's what fielding percentage is dumb dumb!! I gave you four or five links to go where people agreed Kent's defense wasn;t as bad as you think and that he was above league average. Where's the stat that showed he had a great arm? You said Lou Whitaker had quick hands and fast feet too. What Sweet Lou didn;t have was Kent's offense. You combind the to and you got a HOFer!

-No, I gave PLENTY of useful stats only for you to try to twist them in your favor. Kent will be compared to other second basemen of his time. Since you want to compare Kent to others, I gave you a stat that you somehow forgot to quote. I'll give it to you again
    There are 12 players in the Hall of Fame who have amassed 375 homers, 500 doubles and 1,500 RBIs. Andre Dawson, who logged 67 percent of the Hall of Fame vote this year, also is moving closer to Cooperstown. Kent is the other one. Kent had more RBI than Mickey Mantle!!

My argument is based on nothing but valid stats and stats that show that Kent was one of the best second basemen of all-time offensively. Its not people on the internet that agree with me, its people who have vote for the HOF!! You can't find one HOF voter to agree with you! I can go to every single poll and show that the majority of baseball fans know that Kent is a HOFer. You haven't dominated any debate as I have kicked you around this forum many, many times. If anyone's argument is flawed it is yours. You are basing your entire argument on a .02 difference in fielding percentage while Kent was .3 (not .03) better in RF and RF/9, had a great arm and was extremely reliable at the position. You are the one that keeps comparing him to others that aren't second basemen which makes it an invalid argument, something HOF voters wont do. Then you imply that Kent was a steroid user and try to back up this claim by saying "Some people just know things" which is the lamest, dumbest ****ing argument I have ever heard. This kills your whole argument!! Again, it is extremely comforting that I am on the side of smart baseball men and I bring valid arguments. I showed that Kent was a top ten guy in Hits, Runs, RBI, Doubles, OPS and HRs but apparently those aren;t good stats which shows that I am arguing with a complete dumbass who didn;t even follow Kent's career.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Just more intelligent people agreeing with me!!
    Dodgers announced the retirement of second baseman Jeff Kent.
    Kent, 40, ends his 17-year career with the all-time lead in homers by a second baseman. He hit .290/.356/.500 with 377 homers and 1,518 RBI. He ranks 21st all-time in doubles, 47th in RBI, 57th in total bases and 62nd in homers. He was also quite impressive in the postseason, batting .277/.340/.500 with nine homers in 170 at-bats. It's a career that should put him in the Hall of Fame rather easily. He certainly wasn't the best defensive second baseman, but he was always reliable and he never had to be moved off the position.
    More proof? Foxsports.com has it 62% think Kent is a HOFer, ESPN has it 77% he gets in. Case ****ing closed!!
    See you in Cooperstown Jeff!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

For the record, I will not be arguing this point with Dry anymore. Dry, you can reply all you want but just know I won't read it it. It is pointless arguing with someone who picks and chooses when it is OK to compare Kent to other second baseman only when its convenient. Its also pointless to argue with someone who makes up false accusations without a shred of proof or even a rumor and someone who simply makes things up like I tore Larry Walker a new asshole. You also don't know how HOF voting works either or even acknowledge Kent was a second baseman. That's the jaw dropping point I can't get past and it kills your "argument". He played second base 17 years and was as reliable as anyone at the position. The polls back me up, the HOF voters back me up and more importantly the stats back me up. I am very comfortable knowing that!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Kent was a second baseman who averaged fewer than 20 homeruns a year in a crappy National League, who couldn't field and was bad in the locker room. He made 5 all-star games in 17 years. 5 in 17! Not to mention that his numbers pre-steroid era when he was with the Mets were absolutely mediocre and they suddenly magically got better after he turned 30 (right when the steroid era hit) which is kind of suspicious.

Personally, if I'm making a trip to Cooperstown, I'm not going there to take pictures of Jeff Kent's plaque. I'm going there for the Hank Aaron's and Babe Ruth's of the world.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kent averaged 27 HRs and 107 RBI. Get your stats right. Kent had 20 HR power in his first six seasons (hit 29 HRs in his 6th) and had 30 HR power after that. Nothing really suspicious about that. Natural progression. Good players get better the more they play, especially in their 7th season in the prime of their career. I guess David Ortiz is a roider too according to your logic. I guess you too are saying Kent took steroids without an ounce of proof? Jeff Kent played his entire career in the steroid era so there is no split. If Kent played in the AL, his numbers would have been even better. Obviously he could field or else he wouldn't have been a second basemen for 17 years. Kent was nothing but a winner on the field. That Kent got into five AS games is amazing since Kent wasn't a flashy type player and the voters are morons. Definitely deserved more.

MLB ERA

Babe Ruth lead in strikeouts and HRs when he retired. Reggie Jackson was terrible in the field and leads all of baseball in strikeouts but since his stats compare to other OFers, he is in. Enough said.

Babe Ruth had 714 homeruns when he retired though...there wasn't anyone with more in the history of the game.

Just because Kent leads a group in HR at a position where speed (94 SB) and defense ( FP 3% below lg average) doesn't classify him as HOF.

He struck out a ton, didn't play a good 2B, and his stats point to the fact that he wasn't a 2B at all. He would've been better suited at 3B.

Rookie ERA

I always loved Jeff Kent. I thought it was a mistake when Mets delt him away. To me he is a definite Hall of Famer!!! Compare his numbers to Mazeroski he is a shoe in!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Compare his numbers to a lot of second basemen and he is in

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I guess David Ortiz is a roider too according to your logic.
    Sure looks like he is now.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    nice
    You thought I was drumming up something else

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234