Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teixeira signing imminent?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Teixeira signing imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Red Sox once again make the Yankees overpay Silly little rivalry! Saux didn't need him but yet drove the price up anyway. I was hoping for the Nats to get him but in the back of my mind wanting the Saux to get him so the Giants could get Mike Lowell for peanuts. Oh well, Yankees still have holes to fill by Opening Day. Rays are still the team to beat and their offseason isn't over yet, its hardly begun.
    the red sox definitely didnt drive up the cost of texiera (at least not alone). You can put some of that blame on several teams: the nats, the o's, the angels.

and i'm surprised the yanks got him for less than $200M. i was expecting something like 9/210 or even 10/225.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Are you kidding me? Every single report had it down to the Red Sox and Nats. Nats had a part in it as well but the Yankees were more scared of the Red Sox getting him than the Nationals.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Are you kidding me? Every single report had it down to the Red Sox and Nats. Nats had a part in it as well but the Yankees were more scared of the Red Sox getting him than the Nationals.
    but the O's only backed out late and so did the Angels. It was only over the weekend that both decided to formally leave the game.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

As of yesterday, all reports were saying it was the Red Sox and Nationals. Who were the Yankees more afraid of? Nationals offer was more than the Yankees, Yankees was $12 million more than the Red Sox.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

As of yesterday, all reports were saying it was the Red Sox and Nationals. Who were the Yankees more afraid of? Nationals offer was more than the Yankees, Yankees was $12 million more than the Red Sox.
    12 million over 8 years is nothing to the yankees. hell, its nothing to most big market teams. He got a bit less than he was looking for, and ended up in the place he wanted all along it sounds like. If the yankees hadnt put a competitive offer on the table, he may have indeed signed with the nats.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I know the money wasn't anything to the Yankees, the Red Sox getting Teixeira was. That's my point! When all the reports said that he is likely to go to Boston after the Angels dropped out, the Yankees had to make their move. It wasn't the Nationals that were bothering him. If he goes to the Nats, what the hell do the Yankees care?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

I know the money wasn't anything to the Yankees, the Red Sox getting Teixeira was. That's my point! When all the reports said that he is likely to go to Boston after the Angels dropped out, the Yankees had to make their move. It wasn't the Nationals that were bothering him. If he goes to the Nats, what the hell do the Yankees care?
    but still, they REALLY needed help on their offense (look at their runs from last year). and Texeira is clearly the best offensive player on the market. So they would have been hurting on the hitting front if they let him go to the nationals.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes but they didn't care so much if he went to the Nationals. It was the Saux they were scared of. If he goes to the Nats, then he is out of the AL and the Yankees could care less. If he signs with the Red Sox, they would be even better than last year, in the same division and for years to come. Yankees had to keep him out of Boston!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12