Thread: Another Knuckling Niekro

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Another Knuckling Niekro

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Lance Niekro will sign a minor league contract the Braves and attempt to make a comeback as a knuckleball pitcher.
    Just a few years ago Niekro was in position to be the Giants' starting first baseman, but he hit just .246/.288/.421 in 195 games before retiring last season after being released. Now he'll try to follow in the footsteps of his father Joe and uncle Phil, who combined to win 539 games with the knuckler.
    It would be something else if he made it all the way back as a knuckleballer. Lance could never stay healthy enough at first base which gives me doubts that he can make it as a pitcher. He's definitely got the pedigree. Interesting stuff.

MLB ERA

Re: Another Knuckling Niekro

Good luck to him that's all I have to say. He has big shoes to fill.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And then one day we'll hear from a next generation Niekro: "My father was a knuckler, and my father's father was a knuckler and my father's father's brother was a knuckler...."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

'Nother knuckling Niekro never knew neurotics 'n New Mexico
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

He certainly has an opportunity to get back to the game this way. I'm sure he will learn how to throw it properly. He has a couple of very good teachers.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon