Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furcal Returning to Braves

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Furcal Returning to Braves

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Padres says it is "likely" that Peavy is in a Padre uniform come Opening Day. A lot of offseason left to go yet. I don't don't get the move and I don't like it for the Braves. Well first let me back up and say this deal is not done yet. The Dodgers say they are still in the mix. If the Braves do get him, what do they do with Escobar? Move him to second and trade Johnson or trade Escobar? Package Escobar to the Royals for Grienke? To the A's for a few of their arms? To the Dodgers for one of their OFers? Too many questions have to be answered for me to make a call. Sounds like an unnecessary signing if they do indeed sign him.
    If the Braves land Rafael Furcal, 31, it could possibly signal an imminent trade of shortstop Yunel Escobar or second baseman Kelly Johnson in a deal for an elite-level starting pitcher the Braves have spent so much time this offseason attempting to acquire. ... The Braves might try to revive trade talks with the Padres for Jake Peavy, but it's also possible they have a deal in place with another club for a pitcher. They talked last week with the Kansas City Royals about a deal for hard-throwing young starter Zack Greinke, who is two years from free agency.
    Glad to know there are other good baseball minds out there

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I like Greinke a lot, so as long he's not back to crying in a corner. But for the royals sake, I hope they're getting more than just Escobar or Johnson, both are nice complimentary pieces if you have something in place but they're still working on finding what that is.. Jacobs will hit a lot of homeruns but will also have a low average and OBP and Alex Gordon has not made the leap yet.

But who knows.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals would have to get a pitcher in return along with Escobar.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

man, this keeps getting more ridiculous

Furcal is nearing a deal with the Dodgers - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

At the end of a couple of curious days, during which Rafael Furcal reportedly agreed to sign with the Atlanta Braves, then resumed negotiations with the Los Angeles Dodgers (depending on one’s perspective), the free-agent shortstop was nearing an agreement Wednesday morning to return to the Dodgers.

According to sources familiar with the negotiations, talks between team owner Frank McCourt, general manager Ned Colletti and agent Arn Tellem progressed to the point both sides believed a deal would be struck.

The Dodgers’ offer had been at two years with an option for a third. They improved their original offer in the last 24 hours, according to a source, though it is unknown if they guaranteed the third year or increased the contract’s average annual value.

In Atlanta, Braves officials who were so optimistic they had acquired Furcal (who began his career in Atlanta) on Tuesday for three years and $30 million were resigned to perhaps losing the bidding to the Dodgers on Wednesday. They could, of course, re-enter negotiations with a counter offer.
    another article I read said that Furcal was basically using the A's and now it seems like he may have been doing that with Atlanta to get the Dodgers to jump back in. I'm just getting sick of hearing about it. Just sign already. I'd be pissed if I were the Braves.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I love these lines from Buster Olney's blog today:
    First, San Francisco discussed working out a three-year, $39 million deal with the shortstop -- with a $13 million annual salary that would have matched what Furcal had been paid in Los Angeles. Then, Oakland offered $38 million over four years. Now, it seems as if Furcal is headed somewhere for $30 million over three years. "If this keeps dragging out," the official joked, "he might get $1 on a non-guaranteed contract."
    and then there is this:
    "First, Furcal was dating the A's," the official said. "Then, on Monday night, he got engaged to the Braves. And now, the ex-husband -- the Dodgers -- has come back into the picture."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Sources: Furcal picks Dodgers over Braves

Dodgers it is...until he changes his mind again.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's like trying to deal with an ungrateful kid who isn't happy with his allowance.

Oh, so you don't want it? I'll just throw it away then!
    No, no, no, I do want it!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mofo, that picture of yours is really starting to creep me out

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

How can you not like Elgin Baylor?

MLB ERA

I was hoping he would come back to the Braves but it looks like Wren still can't make anything happen. JS should step in.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA

First, Furcal was dating the A's," the official said. "Then, on Monday night, he got engaged to the Braves. And now, the ex-husband -- the Dodgers -- has come back into the picture.
    That about say's it all right there.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

Furcal is staying with the Dodgers. I don't want him anymore since he did this. What a sack of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Sports
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Rafael Furcal accepted a three-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers worth at least $30 million on Wednesday, and the Atlanta Braves accused the star shortstop of reneging on a deal they thought was agreed to earlier this week.

Furcal can earn an additional $3 million if he remains healthy during the three guaranteed seasons of the contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal was still not yet official.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves are betting off keeping the middle infield they have now. It seemed to be an unnecessary signing for the Braves. They need starting pitching and a good bat in the OF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12