Thread: Khalil Greene To The Cards

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Khalil Greene To The Cards

The Cardinals are on the verge of acquiring Khalil Greene from the Padres for two relief prospects, according to the New York Post.
    We'll assume that neither Chris Perez nor Jason Motte is in the deal. If that's the case, it will probably be a pretty good one for St. Louis. Greene should prove to be at least a league-average shortstop away from Petco. He'll certainly be plenty motivated in what will be his walk year.
    The Padres are finally free of Greene and if healthy, the Cards can get a decent SS. Greene is a free agent after the offseason but if he performs well there is a good chance he gets extended. Can't think of who the prospects could be the Padres are getting but it will be interesting who plays SS for the Friars next season. Greene has to be healthy for this to be any kind of good deal. Doesn't matter how little they gave up to get him. In all, the Cards fill a hole with a guy with some pop but more strikeouts and the Padres dump salary.

AA ERA

Re: Khalil Greene To The Cards

Depending on the players that St. Louis dealt, this looks to shape up as a low risk, high reward type deal for the Cardinals.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good thing for the Padres Greene didn't accept the four year, $29 million offer last year or else they had no chance in moving Greene.

MLB ERA

This could be a good move for Greene. A change of scenery, and a new start. Hopefully the Cards didn't give up a lot of talent for him. Of course, if either Perez and Motte were included in this deal, then it's a bad one. I like this move as long as the cost isn't high. Hopefully the Padres either picked up some of his salary, or took lesser quality spects in exchange.

MLB ERA

Hopefully we got something worthwhile, but this helps us in the Jake Peavy front in that it's less of a need to move his salary now.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000