Thread: 9 Teams Want Griffey?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Free Agent 9 Teams Want Griffey?

Brian Goldberg, the agent for former Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr., said Griffey has had contact with nine teams - six in the AL, three in the NL. "Some I contacted, some contacted us," Goldberg said. "We're still talking." Goldberg said Griffey is willing to go anywhere to continue his career. "The list is longer than it was in the past," Goldberg said. Griffey made $12.5 million last year. He won't get anything near that on the free agent market. "I don't think he'll price himself out of a job," Goldberg said. "He's never been about being the highest paid." Griffey had surgery on his left knee shortly after the season. The knee was drained three times during the season. Griffey hopes clubs factor that in when looking at his drop off in power. He went from 30 home runs in 2007 to 18 in 2008.
    I have a real hard time wrapping my mind around nine teams having interest in Griffey. It says three NL teams, who? Why would any NL team still want Griffey? Is it because he hit 15 of his 18 homeruns in the NL? The Rays have been one team rumored to be interested in Griffey because he can DH and play RF but I think the Rays are better off going after Garrett Anderson if that's what they want. Griffey is 39 and with a history of injuries. The only reason I can see a team being interested is the name recognition. It just blew my mind that that many teams would have interest.

MLB ERA

Re: 9 Teams Want Griffey?

Hey, you kick the tires on a used car when you're looking for a newer model, just in case you have a problem in financing.

MLB ERA

Griffey is a very big name and is a gate attraction. He can still hit a little bit as well.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I think the agent has a broad definition of want. One phone call doesn't mean they want you.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

AAA ERA

It's 9 ****ing teams.. in ****ing Japan.