Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holliday to the A's

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Trade Holliday to the A's

Terms weren't disclosed but Boy Ley reported that on ESPN just minutes ago.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ted

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Holliday to the A's

ESPN.com reports that the Matt Holliday-to-Oakland deal, which is still pending physicals, includes left-hander Greg Smith.
    It makes sense that either Smith or Sean Gallagher was going to be involved. The Rockies want major league-ready talent, and the A's probably preferred going that route than touching their top prospects anyway. No word yet on whether Huston Street is in the mix. According to ESPN.com, there are final details still to be worked out, but the trade has been agreed to.
    WOW! Beane said his payroll could be $40 million and as high as $80 million. Beane has got to lock Holliday up or else this will be a terrible one year deal for the A's. Holliday finally gives the A's the all around hitter they need. The A's finished 24 games out of first place. Smith had surgery on his elbow this offseason which makes this a weird deal if he is the centerpiece to this deal.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    WOW! Beane said his payroll could be $40 million and as high as $80 million. Beane has got to lock Holliday up or else this will be a terrible one year deal for the A's. Smith had surgery on his elbow this offseason which makes this a weird deal if he is the centerpiece to this deal.
    it would only be a terrible deal depending on what specs were involved...I'm sure at least one spec was. If it's Street, Smith, and other stuff that isn't one of our top specs...we win even if Holliday walks. Smith is replaceable, Street has been replaced as closer...just need to see what else is involved. I will wait to see...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Holliday for one year and giving up anything isn't a win in my book. The A's finished 24 games out of first place and Holliday isn't a miracle worker. Beane has to extend Holliday for this to be a winner.

MLB ERA

nope...we get 2 picks if/when he walks. Boras won't let Holliday sign without hitting the open market. And if we didn't give up a top spec, then who cares? Smith and Street aren't anything to cry about. The Angels are getting older. If Rodriguez and Teixeira don't come back, then how good are they? They played way above their Pyt. record. This is a good deal for Oakland pending what specs are involved. If CarGon, Cahill, and Anderson stay...then it's a win. And even more so if Mazzaro isn't involved.

MLB ERA

And what garantees you that those 2 picks would be any better than what Holliday brings to the table?

MLB ERA

those 2 picks mean we didn't trade him for nothing if he walks. I never said the picks were better than Holliday.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Or Bob Smith for that matter?
    Sorry, I mean Greg.
    Ted

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Angels have money to get better and now matter how "older" they are getting, 24 games is still extremely hard to make up with one year of Holliday.

MLB ERA

We have better specs coming up than Smith...he's quite replaceable.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Holliday isn't replaceable which is why they have to re-sign him in order for it to be a win. Beane can get it done and he should or else its a setback.

MLB ERA

The Angels have money to get better and now matter how "older" they are getting, 24 games is still extremely hard to make up with one year of Holliday.
    we shall see...the A's were better than their record. The Angels were worse than their record. Regardless, we could contend for the WC as well. All the other playoff teams had worse records than the Angels. The Angels could potentially lose 2 key players and played above their Pyt. record. It's closer than you think. I never said they'd win. But do honestly think this is the only move Beane will make? There are talks of us going after Furcal strongly...he would give us the lead-off hitter we need and a better SS than Crosby. The off-season is young my friend. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    And what garantees you that those 2 picks would be any better than what Holliday brings to the table?
    For the purposes of the debate, they don't have to be better than Holiday they have to be better than the specs Oakland trades for Holiday.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Holliday isn't replaceable which is why they have to re-sign him in order for it to be a win. Beane can get it done and he should or else its a setback.
    If the prospects they draft with the 2 picks they get after he walks wind up being better than the prospects they traded for him would you not consider that a win?

It would mean, in the end, they gave 2 or 3 prospects to the Rockies in exchange for one year of Matt Holiday and 2 prospects better than those they gave up.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast