Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Price Of Manny

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The Price Of Manny

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    They are in the playoffs without him too. He has had problems for years and everyone knows he gave up on his team.
    To be fair, Gary Sheffield did the same thing.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And Sheff is on his way out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Oops. Sheff has one more year on his contract. Sheff just flat out sucked and was injured a lot this season.

There's a big difference on what he did in Boston this year and what he did in prior years, if you want me to go into that, I can.

He'll get a huge deal, and then he'll go back to his Red Sox form after a while. I'd be stunned if he continues in Dodger form into 2009 and beyond.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No need Fisher, Tim McCarver summed it up just fine in my opinion. If I were a GM, Manny wouldn't even be an option.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rumor has it the Dodgers are offering Arod type money to Manny but for only two years. Jim Rome calls this insulting and I call it being smart. You don't know what you are getting with Manny so keeping it to a short contract is the wise thing to do. No one is going to give him the six years he wants. Jim Rome is dead wrong here.

MLB ERA

I would say that 3 years, 70M would do it, if there are a couple of option years./
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

General manager Ned Colletti said Wednesday that the Dodgers have offered Manny Ramirez a salary that's "the highest average annual value in the history of the franchise and the second-highest average annual value in baseball."
    That puts the annual value somewhere between Alex Rodriguez's $27.5 million and Johan Santana's $22.9 million, but the issue will no doubt be that the offer's length will fall well short of the six-year deal Ramirez is said to be seeking. "When we key in on a player we really like, we like to be aggressive and see if there's a common feeling with the player," Colletti said.
    Some are saying it a two year, $50 million contract. I cannot see too many teams beating the annual price.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers' initial offer to Manny Ramirez includes a third-year team option that would make the deal worth a total of $60 million.
    The newspaper reports that the option for 2011 would be worth $22.5 million, with a $7.5 million buyout, which along with $15 million in 2009 and $22.5 million in 2010 would guarantee Ramirez at least $45 million. Agent Scott Boras said last week that the offer wasn't long enough and that isn't likely to change even if the Dodgers decide to guarantee the third season by making it a three-year, $60 million deal.
    The buyout is what makes the deal. Boras is still higher than me if he thinks a team is willing to go six years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12