Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Manny?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Bye Bye Manny?

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I don't buy that Reefer. They'll have to pay just as much for Holliday as they did for Manny. And Holliday is just as awful in the field. Yeah, he's younger, but I don't think Holliday is as much better as you think. Especially if you look at Holliday's splits and see that he's just a career .278, 39 HR, 161 RBI....and .365, 81, 294 at home. Holliday is NOT as good as everyone thinks. I'd love to acquire him, but he's not the MVP candidate that people seem to believe.
    I don't buy your theory either. Holliday will NOT make $20 mill a year and is not that bad in the field. He is head and shoulders above Manny in the field. You think Fenway isn't a hitter's paradise?? Who cares what his splits are? Its not like he would be leaving a hitter's haven for a pitcher's park. It's Fenway!! Plus Holliday is 28 and getting better every year!! Holliday is GOOD and the Red Sox would be smart going after him instead of two more years of declining, diva bullshit. Holliday was just one way they could go and a more complete player than Manny.

MLB ERA

Holliday has Boras as an agent, he will get minimum 17 million. Holliday is actually not that much better, and has a weaker arm. You're assuming Holliday goes to Boston. They don't even seem to have interest. I agree the Red Sox would be better with Holliday than Manny, but in general, i'd rather have the more consistent Manny.

MLB ERA

If the Red Sox trade Manny they will add his name to Babe Ruth. They will not go anywhere without Manny in LF "Just being Manny".
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Holliday has Boras as an agent, he will get minimum 17 million. Holliday is actually not that much better, and has a weaker arm. You're assuming Holliday goes to Boston. They don't even seem to have interest. I agree the Red Sox would be better with Holliday than Manny, but in general, i'd rather have the more consistent Manny.
    What the hell are you talking about? Of course I'm assuming the he goes to Boston! That's what we're all talking about!! That's what you responded to! Holliday does NOT have a weaker arm than Manny so I have no idea of what games you are watching. You honestly think the Red Sox aren't considering Holliday a replacement for Manny right now as we type this? You aren't giving Theo Epstein any credit then. In general, I'd rather have the better all around player.

MLB ERA

The problem is he's not good outside of Coors. Outside of Coors includes both pitchers AND hitters parks, and he's not good anywhere else. He's not a good outfielder, he's a hitter. And if the Red Sox want to add him, more power to them, but in my mind he's INCREDIBLY overrated.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Again, Holliday would be moving from a hitter's park.....to a hitter's park! Holliday has made great strides in improving his defense and is a lot better than what the Red Sox have now. Time to throw out those old scouting reports on his defense. Matt Holliday can hit one out of anywhere and to doubt that is being stubborn. People try and make the same argument for Helton and it just doesn't add up. Holliday in just 13 ABs in Fenway has a homer and two doubles. He would knock the Green Monster down! Holliday is hitting .306 on the road this year with a OBP over .400. Holliday hit .301 on the road last year. Seeing a trend here? He can hit anywhere and is one of the best in the game.

MLB ERA

Exactly, it's just 13 at bats. The question is whether he'd be able to be consistent. And he hasn't proved that yet. Manny has. Manny, even at age 37 and battling bad knees is still one of the most feared hitters in the game. I'm not saying Holliday sucks, or would be a bad addition, but for MY TEAM, I'd rather have Manny.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why would you rather have a 37 yr old DH over a 28 yr old OFer coming into his prime and proving he can hit consistently? In those 13 ABs, he does nothing out of the ordinary. He does that most everywhere! Hitters park to hitter park as I have to keep reminding you. You can have Manny, I'd rather win with Holliday and have him for a few years. Less headache, less money annually, better player.

MLB ERA

How many rings does Holliday have?

I'll take the proven winner, the guy who has ALWAYS hit everywhere he went, not just in his home ballpark, and ONE YEAR on the road, and the guy who can roll out of bed and hit better than 97% of MLB players.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rings doesn't play into it! Manny did not win those on his own! Holliday lead his team to win 21 of 22 games to get to the playoffs last year when they went to the WORLD SERIES!! Not good enough for you?? I will take the guy has a career line of .322/.387/.558, who can hit ANYWHERE he goes and has proven that for two years straight, improving instead of declining, can play better defense, who is moving from one hitters park with those stats to another one, who is actually in future plans, a proven winner, the man who finished second in the MVP last season and hit .289 in the postseason last year. Boston would be idiots to take Manny over Holliday after the season if they had the choice. Oh yeah, Holliday is in that 97% percentile.

MLB ERA

I would agree that Holliday is a better fit for BOSTON. BUT IF I AM MAKING A TEAM, IF I AM THE METS LOOKING TO ADD AN OUTFIELDER, I'D RATHER MANNY!

AAA ERA

I'd LOVE to see Boston try to replace Manny w/ Holliday/ W/o Manny Boston doesn't have a Championship right now, he, along w/ Schilling and Ortiz, have been the 3 key guys to those teams. "Manny being Manny" means he never allows pressure to get to him and that spread throughout that clubhouse. Our leader is a choker named ARod and that has spread throughout the Yankee clubhouse. W/o Manny Boston will not be as good and I will do cartwheels if Boston is dumb enough to get rid of him.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Youkilis deserved to be punched. just saying.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I would agree that Holliday is a better fit for BOSTON. BUT IF I AM MAKING A TEAM, IF I AM THE METS LOOKING TO ADD AN OUTFIELDER, I'D RATHER MANNY!
    I AM GLAD YOU ARE NOT A GM AND SO ARE METS FANS. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BOSTON AND WHAT THEY CAN DO WHEN MANNY IS GONE AFTER THE SEASON!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I'd LOVE to see Boston try to replace Manny w/ Holliday/ W/o Manny Boston doesn't have a Championship right now, he, along w/ Schilling and Ortiz, have been the 3 key guys to those teams. "Manny being Manny" means he never allows pressure to get to him and that spread throughout that clubhouse. Our leader is a choker named ARod and that has spread throughout the Yankee clubhouse. W/o Manny Boston will not be as good and I will do cartwheels if Boston is dumb enough to get rid of him.
    The Yankees leader is not even close to being Arod. Jeter, Posada and even Giambi is more of a leader than Arod. Holliday sandwiched in between Ortiz and Drew would be just as good as Manny so you can do cartwheels all day long. Holliday has already shown in a limited career that pressure doesn't get to him. Yankees fans should be scared shitless if the Red Sox replace Manny with Holliday next year.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast