Thread: Throw of the dice?

MLB ERA

Free Agent Throw of the dice?

Righty Garcia could be late-season pickup -- Newsday.com

As we have seen teams are starting to spend prospects for major leaguers to try and help their runs toward the playoffs. Meanwhile Freddy Garcia is rehabbing from right labrum surgery during last season. Garcia is 33 and is 117-76 in his career with a 4.07 ERA. How many teams would have a guy that when healthy has put up those kind of numbers?

If the Reds were in it and needed another starter this would be the first guy I would worked out before going to the trade market and spend prospects to bring in someone else. If he is healthy Garcia would be among the top pitchers available in a market starving for pitching and it would not cost you a thing besides whatever he signs for. The only question could be how much is he willing to make this year to get back into the majors in hopes of getting pait next year. He's not likely (I would think) toget more than probably a prorated contract for about the minimum considering exactly the type of surgery he is trying to come back from. His agent needs to be careful with how he approaches this or else Freddy will be like Barry and sitting at home for the rest of the season.

If youre team were in the playoff hunt:
    1 Would you have interest in Garcia's progress? If not why?
    2 What pitchers remaining right now would you try and acquire before signing Garcia?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Throw of the dice?

He would be a great guy for the Marlins, Braves and Tigers to look at.

MLB ERA

Re: Throw of the dice?

I'd keep an eye on him. The Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, and all those other teams who are in it, but need that one more pitcher should definitely look into it. He's cheap, so it's low risk high reward. Definitely not a bad idea.