Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Want Harden

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Cubs Want Harden

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Cubs have been talking with Oakland GM Billy Beane in hopes of attaining Rich Harden.

The Cubs were looking for starting pitching before division rival Milwaukee snared C.C. Sabathia, and that move made the need slightly more pressing. Still, the A's are only six games out of first and might wait until closer to the deadline to start dealing. The Cubs are also thought to be interested in San Diego's Randy Wolf.
    The Brewers getting Sabathia has really put pressure on the Cubs and Cards to make moves. Harden to the NL with him hitting would be risky given his history of injuries. That said, he would would dominate the NL moreso than he already does in the AL. Like the article says, the A's are still in the race for the West and could make some moves to better themselves to stay in it. Randy Wolf makes for a more realistic acquistion right now but Wolf isn't that good or at least not good enough to propel the Cubs into October. Cubs need to do something as do the Cards unless you already count moving Mulder to the rotation as doing something. The heat is on these two teams now.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Cubs Want Harden

they can want him all they want, but they don't have the pieces...waste of time.

Cubs Pursuing Harden In Wake Of Sabathia Deal: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Jayson Stark commented on the Harden situation on Thursday:

The A's will consider any offers that allow them to add and subtract at the same time. But any Harden deal would have to at least approach last winter's Dan Haren extravaganza.

A reminder: Baseball America ranked Carlos Gonzalez as the game's #22 prospect, and Brett Anderson was #36. The Cubs don't have two players like that. Then add Greg Smith and Dana Eveland, who have combined for a 3.52 ERA in 207 innings this year. Oh, and toss in Chris Carter and Aaron Cunningham for good measure. That was a haul, even for an ace like Haren.

MLB ERA

I think that the Cubs would have to overpay for harden, as i can't remember the last time Billy Beane made a fair trade with someone, I'm not sold that the Brewers lineup or Bullpen will keep them in this even with CC, if I'm the Cubs i don't panic and see where you are in 2 weeks
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Milton Bradley for Andre Ethier was a fair trade.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Brewers getting Sabathia has really put pressure on the Cubs and Cards to make moves. Harden to the NL with him hitting would be risky given his history of injuries. That said, he would would dominate the NL moreso than he already does in the AL. Like the article says, the A's are still in the race for the West and could make some moves to better themselves to stay in it. Randy Wolf makes for a more realistic acquistion right now but Wolf isn't that good or at least not good enough to propel the Cubs into October. Cubs need to do something as do the Cards unless you already count moving Mulder to the rotation as doing something. The heat is on these two teams now.
    i think the cards need to make a move more than the cubs do in terms of rotation. Wolf can get them into october, but he wont win them the world series.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards just moved Mulder to the rotation, what else do they need to do? Both teams need help.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I read that on the MLBrumors.com. I love it. I want the Brewers to beat teams that are healthy, loaded with talent. Then they will either beat the best teams have to offer and figure out what they still need to do to play with the big boys.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A's should keep Harden and find someone to give lots for Blanton.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blanton isn't deserving of lots. He has been awful this year.

MLB ERA

someone would deal for him...but his value would be too low... sell harden while his value is high before he gets hurt again
    MSLSeattle0001

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Blanton isn't deserving of lots. He has been awful this year.
    Yeah unfortunately he has. As much as Beane may want to trade him, I'm not sure how many teams will actually want him. As for Harden, I don't really see him being traded unless they offer a lot in return. Look at how much we got for Haren and Swish. If Harden really is as good as the media says he is, then I think he should be worth more than those two guys. JMO though.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Yeah unfortunately he has. As much as Beane may want to trade him, I'm not sure how many teams will actually want him. As for Harden, I don't really see him being traded unless they offer a lot in return. Look at how much we got for Haren and Swish. If Harden really is as good as the media says he is, then I think he should be worth more than those two guys. JMO though.
    He isnt worth as much for one very good reason: Health. So he shouldnt even be sniffing the same amount of prospects as Haren or even Swisher
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    He isnt worth as much for one very good reason: Health. So he shouldnt even be sniffing the same amount of prospects as Haren or even Swisher
    then, even if the Cubs had the pieces, they won't make a deal. The A's don't have to deal Harden. He is reasonably signed through next season. We're not too far behind the Angels and even closer to the Wild Card. We'll be better next season and even better if Harden is around. He won't get traded unless Beane gets what he wants. We're not dumping him and we're not taking crap for him. The Cubs system is very thin and there is no way I see a deal getting done with them no matter how much "talking" there has been.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Why would the A's want to trade either of these guys. It isn't like they are totally out of the race like the Indians.

MLB ERA

Harden is appealing for that reason, a team can give up a lot for a guy they'll have for a year and a half, instead of only a few months... U have to deal harden while his value is high.
    MSLSeattle0001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast