Thread: Sidney Ponson Sighting

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sidney Ponson Sighting

Free agent Sidney Ponson impressed a few teams Thursday in a 15-minute bullpen session.
    Scouts from St. Louis, Seattle, Kansas City, and Arizona were in attendance. Ponson weighed 248 pounds, down from his most recent listed weight of 260. He even touched 93-94 miles an hour on a radar gun. The Cardinals hosted the "showcase" and seem to be the likely suitors, as they're big on reclamation projects.
    Ponson has only had one season with an ERA under four and that was in 2003 with Baltimore and San Francisco. St. Louis would be the likely place for him to end up. The Cards have a lot of question marks in their rotation with Reyes, Clement, Mulder, Pineiro and Looper. It seems like he is in shape and Duncan might do his magic. The NL is his best bet. I don't see him fitting with any of the other clubs mentioned.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Sidney Ponson Sighting

He'll sign with St. Louis
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I can still remember off the top of my head the three pitchers that the Giants gave to the Orioles in the Sir Sidney sweepstakes: Kurt Ainsworth, Damian Moss, and Ryan Hannaman. Well, Ainsworth and Hannaman are out of baseball and Moss retired last year before he decided to try out in spring training this year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yep. I wasn't worried at the time that we lost anything worth a shit.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rangers, seeking to add depth to their rotation, have signed free-agent right-hander Sidney Ponson to a minor-league contract.

An opportunity for Ponson arose in part because Rangers right-hander Brandon McCarthy will be sidelined at least 4-6 weeks due to severe inflammation in his right elbow

Ponson threw just 37 2/3 innings last year with Minnesota. He went 2-5 with a 6.93 ERA and was released in early May.

Ponson resumed his career in the Dominican Winter League and worked out for scouts this spring before the Rangers signed him.
    Of all the ballparks for him to choose to go to it had to be that hitter's paradise in Arlington. Bad move Ponson! I am sure there was another team willing to give you a shot. But then again, you never know when an opportunity to make a rotation will come again.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    I can still remember off the top of my head the three pitchers that the Giants gave to the Orioles in the Sir Sidney sweepstakes: Kurt Ainsworth, Damian Moss, and Ryan Hannaman. Well, Ainsworth and Hannaman are out of baseball and Moss retired last year before he decided to try out in spring training this year.

Does it hurt to remember this now useless information

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Why does it hurt? Ponson had a losing record with the Giants.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Well, sadly enough I bet you he'll end up in Texas' sad-sack rotation. Have fun posting a 7.02 ERA in 6 starts Sir Sid.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.