Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Rolen/Glaus Swap?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A Rolen/Glaus Swap?

The Cardinals and Blue Jays will swap Scott Rolen and Troy Glaus if the third basemen will waive their no-trade clauses, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
    Glaus, who is believed to prefer the West Coast, may want some financial incentive for waiving his no-trade clause. Rolen figures to be less picky, as he just wants away from Tony La Russa. The two players would also have to pass physicals for the deal to be completed. Rolen has the more significant health concerns because of his chronic shoulder troubles, but Glaus is coming off foot surgery.
    I know the Cards are fed up with Rolen and vice versa but Troy Glaus? Glaus comes with just as many injuries as Rolen plus a steroid cloud. Troy is decent at third but not even close to Rolen but will be a better option protecting Pujols. Both players cost about the same so this deal could happen but I would hate to see it.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: A Rolen/Glaus Swap?

Hate to see it in what way? Not a Troy Glaus fan?

Cause I am not. Havn't been overly impressed with the level of play he comes with at times. Big outs at certain big times are my recent memories of Troy, and that's not something that I want to see from a big bat.

As a Jay's fan, I like this deal.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

One injury-prone 3Bman for another here huh?

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

well you know the Jays....they love injuries

MLB ERA

I like Rolen in Toronto better than Glaus in St. Louis. Rolen plays better defense, IMO.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What a great move it's turned out for the Angels to let Glaus become the franchise player of the Diamondbacks.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd rather have a healthy Rolen than a healthy Glaus, but a healthy Rolen is more to ask for.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    Hate to see it in what way? Not a Troy Glaus fan?
    I would hate to see it because Rolen is better than Glaus and is very well-liked in St. Louis. The Cards already have a steroid cloud (Ankiel) and don't need another one in Glaus. I can see both sides of the argument here. Glaus could provide more production since the pitching will be awful and they will need all the offense they can get. On the other hand, you need good defense behind that awful pitching. Lots of angles here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Cardinals agreed to swap Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus in large part because they were assured that Glaus would exercise his $11.25 million player option for 2009.

That means the Cardinals are essentially swapping three seasons of Rolen at $36 million for two seasons of Glaus at $24 million, although there may be money changing hands in the deal as well. The newspaper reports that the trade could become official as soon as Monday, pending physicals for both players.

According to the Toronto Star, the Blue Jays will send the Cardinals about $1.8 million as part of the Troy Glaus-for-Scott Rolen trade.

The deal is reportedly done pending physicals from both players, which could happen as soon as Monday.
    Why are the Jays sending money? They are the ones taking on the most money. Looks like this is as good as done. Jays will have better defense behind them if Rolen is healthy and the Cards will have better protection for Pujols.

MLB ERA

I also heard that another key factor regarding this trade was the relationship between LaRussa and Rollen.

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    I also heard that another key factor regarding this trade was the relationship between LaRussa and Rollen.
    I read that as well on ESPN when they were reporting the rumor.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rolen hating LaRussa is old news. LaRussa's words towards him this offseason only fueled the fire not to mention the letter he wrote him. LaRussa and Rolen basically got their wishes.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Sometimes severing those ties is just the best thing to do.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So I havn't heard any more of this money issue?
    All the reports I have seen don't mention it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Read my earlier post, #9. Nothing has changed since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast