Thread: Chavez Thinks He Will Be Traded

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Chavez Thinks He Will Be Traded

Eric Chavez indicated Thursday that he expects to be traded, calling it "inevitable."

"I told Billy [Beane], 'I know what you're doing, if you want to move me, do what you have to do,'" Chavez said. "It's motivation to get healthy, play well and then see what happens. To be honest, with everything that's going on, there's probably no reason for me to stay around, it doesn't add up with what's happening." Chavez is signed through 2010 at an average of $11.5 million per season.
    The A's would have to eat a lot of money in order to trade Chavez who hasn't been that effective the past two seasons. The Giants would love to acquire Chavez and reunite him with Barry Zito. Chavez would be a better option at third than Feliz anyway (of course I would say that). Inge is also a possibility for the Giants. The A's are in rebuilding mode and keeping a guy who makes that much money doesn't make sense but the A's have got to keep the fans coming somehow. Swisher was well liked and Haren was the best they had. Interesting to see what Beane has left up his sleeve.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Chavez Thinks He Will Be Traded

Maybe the Brewers will inquire about Chavez.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

If I'm Huston Street I'm looking at selling my house.
    Save Phil Hughes

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok so it's true that he does think he'll be traded (and I agree), but he's still recovering from 3 different surgeries...do you really think that teams will want to take a gamble at him? He's a great defensive 3rd baseman, but he doesn't put up the offensive numbers that he used to. He says he'll be ready by ST, but I'm not too sure about that...

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Chavez Thinks He Will Be Traded

Good point, but if a team signs him with an incentive layden contract, he may be worth the gamble for teams like the Brewers, who need him more for defense than offense anyways. He would be a nice #6 or #7 hitter in their lineup. Again, as you stated, only if he is healthy and passes a physical.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

True, very true. It just doesn't seem to be in the cards right now for him to be traded. If we were to trade him at all, I think we'd wait until the trading deadline in July. Who knows? He may come back a changed man and we won't want to trade him, or vice versa.