Thread: Rolen To Milwaukee?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rolen To Milwaukee?

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Cardinals and Brewers are discussing a Scott Rolen trade, but they haven't decided how much money St. Louis will pick up or what players the Cards will get in return.
    It appears safe to assume that Chris Capuano would be in the deal. The Brewers shouldn't need to give up much more talent in return for Rolen, assuming that they're willing to pay the majority of the $36 million the third baseman is owed for the next three years. If Rolen is acquired, Ryan Braun would move to left field, leaving Matt LaPorta wondering about his future role with the team.
    What are the Cardinals doing? They would be improving the Brewers chances of being the powerhouse in the Central. Brewers could have a lineup of Fielder, Braun, Rolen, Hall and Hardy. Rolen is the best defensive third baseman I have ever seen. Cards would be dumping salary while getting a #4 starter. I have no idea what the Cards are trying to do this offseason. New GM John Mozeliak's first moves have been signing Jason LaRue and Cesar Izturis. Walt Jocketty is missed.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Rolen To Milwaukee?

Except that Rolen is aging (33), washed up (numbers way down), and can't stay healthy anymore (103 games/year over the last 3 years). Better to move him now and get something in return while he's still worth anything.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards are still helping the Brewers while making another hole for themselves. I doubt the Cards are going with Speizio and Ryan at third. Cards might still be looking to get Tejada.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Despite rumors to the contrary, Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he hasn't spoken with the Cardinals about Scott Rolen or anything else in a couple of weeks.
    If that's the truth, then there doesn't seem to be much to the Rolen rumors. If the Brewers wanted him, they wouldn't go weeks without touching base with the Cardinals.
    Sounds logical.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Cardinals on Monday intensified efforts to deal away Scott Rolen, possibly to a rival poised to displace them as the NL Central's dominant franchise. Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has met twice with the Milwaukee Brewers since arriving Sunday night at baseball's winter meetings and plans to extend discussions today. Mozeliak insisted the teams have not yet discussed components of a deal beyond Rolen, but club sources indicated a willingness Monday night to provide the Brewers whatever medical information necessary to ease concerns about Rolen's problematic left shoulder. ... Mozeliak played down the likelihood of finalizing a deal involving Rolen before the meetings adjourn Thursday, though the Cardinals apparently have trimmed the field of potential suitors for Rolen to four. The Texas Rangers and San Francisco Giants also have voiced interest. The Cardinals may wait until the Florida Marlins resolve the status of third baseman Miguel Cabrera before acting.
    Don't do it Mozeliak!!

MLB ERA

The Brewers don't need Scott Rolen. They have a decent 3B now and backups in case Braun goes down -- Hall, Weeks. They are covered at 3B. The Twins, on the other hand, could use a guy like Rolen, although his salary would likely be out of their range, especially if Santana returns.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A source told ESPN's Jayson Stark that the Angels are toying with the idea of making a run at Scott Rolen.
    The Angels don't need a third baseman unless they're going to trade Howie Kendrick or Chone Figgins, and those two don't figure to be candidates to go in a Rolen deal. With so many questions about his shoulder, Rolen hardly looks like a better choice for 2008 than either Figgins or Kendrick.
    It would make for a nice pickup if they do trade one of those guys in another deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa lit into Scott Rolen on Wednesday, saying "he needs to give back more."
    La Russa appears eager to have a Rolen-free clubhouse. "The whole idea isn't to please Scott. It's to take care of the St. Louis Cardinals. I don't understand why he can be down on the Cardinals. I don't understand why he can be down on me, to be honest," La Russa said. "The idea is to accommodate the St. Louis Cardinals, our team, our responsibility to our players and to the competition. So, no, I don't want to accomodate Scott." Speaking about the rift that's developed, La Russa added, "I can't remember ever being the combination of mystified and concerned as I am about this situation." The Brewers, Giants, Dodgers and maybe the Angels have displayed interest in trading for Rolen.
    LaRussa is right on this one. Be a professional! That said, Rolen can now press hard for a trade.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Hope not. Injury prone and they really should give Braun the opportunity to prove himself this year. If he is struggling at the trade deadline in July then maybe consider it. They allowed Weeks to improve, now it time to do the same with Braun