Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santana Trade Talks

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Santana Trade Talks

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Yankees, Twins talking Santana trade

It has been rumored this offseason that the Twins have wanted Cano, Hughes, Cabrera and Austin Jackson just to name a few. I see this happening before the Winter Meetings and don't see any other teams standing in their way.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 11-29-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: changed the thread title

MLB ERA

Re: Yanks/Twins Discuss Santana

I've heard about this...It would be great to see Santana wear the pinstripes but I don't want the Yankees to part with our young chips.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

I could see a "sign and trade" deal being done giving Johan 6 or 7 years at $20M/season. The Twins would have to get a CF and some pitching in return, with at least one of the pitchers being ready to contribute next season. They have a history of making decent deals with the Yankees and could come out of this looking very good. Cashman had better watch what he gives up to get Johan.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

If the Yankees were to trade for Santana I feel like they would have to give up some of the following players...

Jose Tabata OF
    Phil Hughes P
    Joba Chamberlain P
    Austin Jackson OF
    Tyler Clippard P
    Ian Kennedy P
    Eric Duncan 3B/1B
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hughes and Jackson plus Cano I believe would get a deal done for Santana. But I would ask for Tabata as well in the deal.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I agree that the Twins should ask for at least 4 players for Santana. 2 must be major league ready, and at least one must be a very good prospect.
    I can see something similar to the Knoblauch deal coming here.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I still dont believe in trading the best pitcher in the game in his prime.

MLB ERA

Sign and trades don't happen in baseball.

I'd be very wary of giving up Hughes. Cano has got to be untouchable. I'd be pretty upset if they gave up both Jackson and Tabata.

Santana concerns me. His numbers have declined each of the last four years. Last year he was abysmal after that 17 K game. I don't know; something might be up there. He is still great, don't get me wrong, but his days of sub-3 ERAs could be over, in which case, how much greater is his value - considering the likely 20 mil a year over 7 years that it will probably take to sign him - than the top pitching prospect in baseball plus a cadre of other highly valuable position players?

Risky business.

MLB ERA

Santana's numbers have not declined each of the past 4 years as your saying man, last year yes he did struggle and still had a 3.33 ERA with a whip of 1.07.

I'm sorry, I should have specified. His WHIP, SLG, and ABP numbers have risen consistently every year for the past four years. The 30+ HRs this year are also a little troubling. I've also heard his fastball velocity decreased a little this year, but I didn't see him enough to verify that for myself. Anything to that, mntwinsfan?

I mean, don't get me wrong, even with the decline his numbers are spectacular, and he is definitely one of the best pitchers in baseball. I just wonder if it is worth giving up what it will take to get him - considering the extra $150 million in extension money.

Then again, Hughes will only reach his potential if he develops that changeup...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I heard that the BoSox are also in the running as well. What else do we expect? I mean, sure this teams have to battle eachother for superiority. But imagine Santana and Beckett in the same rotation. WOW!

I guess the Twins want to hear Jacoby Ellsbury's name to spark interest.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Santana had a down year. He was pissed off that Polad had Ryan move players like Castillo and get nothing back mlb ready for a playoff push. This was posted in the startribune. I do think that the cost to get CyTana will be alot but well worth the cost. Best changeup in the game.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

True enough about the changeup.

I don't see the Red Sox giving in on Ellsbury and Buccholz. I could see Lester being moved.

Of course, if the Twins pull off that trade for Young, that changes the outlook, doesn't it? What would the Twins want then? More pitching?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

oh c'mon redsrbetter, you're just putting ellsbury's name in there to get some people fired up. Boston would throw a fit if they got rid of their rookie sensation, you know that.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast