Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Santana Trade Talks

Re: Santana Trade Talks

Looks like nothing got done last night. The Yankees can't really afford to give up both Hughes and Kennedy.

And the other proposal I have been hearing: Hughes, Melky, Horne, and Jackson, really shouldn't be made either. The Yanks can't trade Melky and then lose the guy who is supposed to replace him a year or two down the line. Horne was the top pitcher in AA last year. I don't know, those are some tough pills to swallow considering the contract that would have to be handed out afterwards.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Yankees can just go out and buy another CFer like they always do. Boston looks like the front runner and the Yanks look to have turned their attention to Haren.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Boston Herald reports that the Twins and Red Sox are expected to "resume serious negotiations" Tuesday morning, with Minnesota said to be deciding between two different trade packages for Johan Santana.
    One package is reportedly Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Justin Masterson and Jed Lowrie, while the other is believed to be Jacoby Ellsbury, Lowrie and Masterson. The latter would be seem to be a better long-term fit for the Twins, but Minnesota apparently likes Lester an awful lot after being satisfied with his health following a Monday night look at his medical records.
    If you are going to get rid of your ace and you just traded Garza, you have to get a pitcher in return.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Santana Trade Talks

Hmmm, interesting.

According to an official of an American League team, the Boston Red Sox have made a significant increase in their proposal for Johan Santana, offering the Minnesota Twins pitcher Jon Lester, outfielders Coco Crisp and Jacoby Ellsbury and minor-league infielder Jed Lowrie. The official, who asked not to be named because he is not directly involved, said the Twins were going to sleep on it.
    An official from a team that is involved in Santana talks said that late last night the Twins re-engaged the Red Sox in talks after reaching an impasse with the Yankees. Minnesota continued to ask for pitcher Ian Kennedy to be included along with outfielder Melky Cabrera and pitcher Phil Hughes, and the Yankees held firm. That led to a re-opening of discussions with Boston, according to the official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks.
    A Red Sox official, who asked not to be named because he is not authorized to speak publicly, said the team has sent Lester's medical records to the Twins, a formality that may signal advancement in talks.
    Link: Overnight Yankees update - NJ.com: Ledger on the Yankees
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This was posted today:

3:28 p.m., from Peter Gammons
    • The Twins and Red Sox are getting closer to finalizing a Johan Santana deal. Boston has sweetened its offer by adding a fifth player to the the offer -- outfield prospect Ryan Kalish, a ninth-round draft pick in the 2006 out of Red Bank Catholic High School (Shrewsbury, N.J.).
    Man, a five for one deal??? Are the Twins stupid not to take it?
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    This was posted today:

Man, a five for one deal??? Are the Twins stupid not to take it?
    Thats for the scout's to decide. Because Quantity isn't always better than quality.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Still, a package including Lester, Ellsbury and Lowrie? I think that would be enough right there?
    -Chris

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't care if it's 12 for 1, the Twins are getting hosed here...Jon Lester as the top piece in a return for Santana? Seriously? Coco Crisp??????? Seriously?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, Lester doesn't have Cy Young type stats, but look at the overall picture. The Twins would lose a two-time Cy Young award winner for a solid picther (Lester), a phenomenal young, fast OF (Ellsbury), and one of their top prospects (Lowrie). Also included is Coco Crisp, who would be another extra OF, and then Kalish, who could be bred into the minor league system to become one of the top prospects for the future. It kind of looks like it may be a bit of a rebuilding year, but will have a solid, competitive, winning team break into the new stadium in 2010.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins would be getting someone to start right away who is pretty good, a CFer, a future second baseman and another pitcher who is in their top ten and an OFer.

AA ERA

I'm still hearing what reefer posted above, either 3-for-1 in Ellsbury, Lowrie and Masterson or Lester, Crisp, Lowrie, and Masterson with Ryan Kalish being added to the 2nd offer.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

So it's not just Boston actively throwing names around.
    4:49 p.m., from Jayson Stark
    • The Twins and Angels continue to talk about a Johan Santana trade. Many of the same players mentioned in the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes -- Howie Kendrick, Brandan Wood, Nick Adenhart, and possibly Jeff Mathis or Reggie Willits -- would be included in a package for Santana.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

At this point, I am starting to think the Twins should hold on to Santana and try and win next season. If they fall out of contention, some team will need him come the trade deadline. Twins have holes to fill but have the pitching and offense to compete in the Central.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

As a Twins fan I agree. Keep Johan and win next year. But, we all know that is a long shot. Pohlad just isn't going to put up the money for it.
    -Chris

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Wait henks, I haven't seen anything indicating the Sox are going to trade both Lester and Ellsbury...
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast